Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Could a second cataract operation be performed on the same

Customer Question

Could a second cataract operation be performed on the same eye after one interoccular implant?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. If you are wondering whether or not your cataract will grow back and necessitate a second cataract operation, put your mind at ease. Cataracts never grow back and you will never need another cataract operation in that eye.

That being said, I imagine you may be pondering one of two scenarios. Are you dissatisfied with your toric lens implant? If so, yes, a lens implant can be explanted (removed). It is a bit more complicated than putting it in the eye in the first place, but it can be done if you are not tolerating it for any reason.

Secondly, you may be wondering if anything may happen to your implant to make it seem as though the cataract is returning, as in a return of similar symptoms of your cataract. This can happen to about 30% of people after cataract surgery. Some people call it a secondary cataract (because the symptoms are the same, not because a cataract can return). What's happening to these people is the shell that holds their lens implant is clouding over behind the lens implant, which can cause a return of cataract-like symptoms. Thankfully, a brief, straightforward, and relatively safe laser procedure can be done, without any pain at all, which can resolve this issue also permanently.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.