Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

how long after chemo should you wait to get your eyes test

how long after chemo should you wait to get your eyes tested?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Hi, my mum has just finished having chemo. Her eyesight has got worse and she would like to get her eyes re-tested. How long should she wait untill she does this?

Dr. Rick :

What type of chemo did you have? And are you talking about testing for new glasses?

Customer:

She had chemo for breast cancer. Yes for glasses - She currently wears reading glasses.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. As long as her oncologist say's it is ok for her to go out in public (her immune system has recovered enough etc) she can have her eyes tested. There should be no problems at all.

Customer:

Ok thank you. Is it likely that her eyesight will alter once the effects of the chemo have settled? I have read that some say to wait 6 months after chemo other people say to go as soon as she feels well enough. I guess she doesnt want to buy new glasses and then have to get more again in afew months time?

Dr. Rick :

How the eyes are affected varies from patient to patient. I wouldn't worry about any change that may occur. It is more important that she be able to enjoy clear vision at this time....

Dr. Rick :

I'd go ahead and get new glasses :)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

Ok, thank you for your help/time.