Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hi, I have a small bump in the sclera of my right eye halfway

Hi, I have a small bump in the sclera of my right eye halfway between the iris and the corner of my eye. I have taken some photos on a macro camera and there is a tiny dark grey dot on the bump (maybe 1mm diameter). If I look straight ahead and blink there is no pain but if I turn my eyes to look to the right (ie so the bump would now be in the middle of the visible eye) and blink I have a sharp bruise like pain. I have had this for two days and woke up with it. I don't know what could have caused it. The pain feels very similar to the pain you get when you have flu etc and you move your eyes to their extremities but only effects one eye. Additionally, if I shut my eyelid and press on the bump I get the same bruise like pain, but no pain if I press anywhere else. Thanks.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I'd be happy to take a look at the picture.

Dr. Rick :

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.

Go to www.tinypic.com

Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.

Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.

Copy the link inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.

Customer: Hi, I'm on holiday so connections fairly slow and picture is unfortunately an iPhone picture of my camera so quality dropped off a bit. I'm at the last stage of the upload but can't see the link inside this box you refer to. Please can you resend or clarify. Thanks
Customer:

Sorry, I was being stupid - have re-read and here's the link

Dr. Rick :

Not a bad picture for a cell phone :)

Dr. Rick :

That looks like a conjunctival inclusion cyst. This is nothing to be worried about.

Dr. Rick :

This is caused when the glands that make a clear liquid that lubricates your eyes gets plugged up or, for lack of a better term, "folded over". Their product can no longer get out and a small, sack like cyst forms.

Dr. Rick :

Here is a picture of a larger one:

Dr. Rick :

If it bothers you it can be easily removed by simple excision. Sometimes you can just "pop" it with a needle, but it tends to come back when you do that......

Customer:

Thanks. My eye drops that I bought contain 0.15% Dibrompropamidine Isetionate. Is it worth still using them?

Dr. Rick :

No. This is not an infection so you don't need those drops. I'd suggest just soothing eye drops such as natural tears etc. The most important thing is don't worry. :)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes, thank you for your help. It makes sense as it is is very localised and behaves exactly as the cysts that I occassionally get from shaving on my neck behave - sharp bruise feeling when pressed but that's all. Final question - how long would you expect it to take to sort itself out?

Dr. Rick :

Actually, many times they do not go away without being "popped" or excised by an ophthalmologist......sorry about that.

Dr. Rick :

Although, since they are fragile, they just pop by themselves for no real reason and, all of a sudden, you notice they are gone.

Dr. Rick :

In either event they cause no harm and are not a sign of any serious condition.

Dr. Rick :

How's things in France? It just snowed here last night :(

Customer:

OK, the only thing that does't quite tally with the pictures online (and it isn't really obvious from my photo I sent) is that there is no real raised area or a sack. Just that small black dot. But if that's another way it manifests itself, fine! I'll just wait and see what happens. When vision is concerned I just get a bit nervous.

Customer:

Weather in France was great yesterday, cloudy and gloomy today. I'm from London and have left perfect weather behind there so a bit depressing. Where are you?

Dr. Rick :

I don't blame you at all for getting nervous....you just have two eyes after all. I'd just watch it for now. If the black spot gets larger, or next time you are at the eye doctor's, just bring it to her attention. I'd not let it interfere with your vacation in France with all those cute (read topless) young things running around lol!

Dr. Rick :

Northern Wisconsin, close to the border with Canada and Lake Superior.

Customer:

OK, will do. Thanks for your help.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a great vacation. Take care.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest