Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

My 16 year old daughter had a betadine eye wash at the optomologist

My 16 year old daughter had a betadine eye wash at the optomologist today for a viral infection and was in agonizing pain for a few hours. Now her eye is inflamed and is still sore and sensitive to light. We were told that if it hurts he did the treatment wrong and then were told that she will have <em>some</em> pain. We weren't prepared for this.   Is this normal or is it possible that he has burned her eye. If it is normal, when can we expect it to subside. It seems the cure is worse than the orignal problem.<br/><br/>Thank you for your help.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 3 years ago.

Dr. PG :

hi

Dr. PG :

welcome to just answer

Dr. PG :

If your daughter was diagnosed as having a viral infection in the eye, then ideally no eye wash should have been done

Dr. PG :

kindly give me some more information regrading the diagnosis and treatment given to her

Dr. PG :

what eye drops has she been prescribed?

Customer:

I apolojize that I can't give you the exact diagnosis. He says it is definitely a viral infection however.

Customer:

He did the Betadine eye wash and sent her home with some moisture drops. That is all we were given.

Dr. PG :

ook

Dr. PG :

then she must not be having a viral infection of the eye

Dr. PG :

she might have got some foreign body in her eye or some dust or injury caused by dust etc

Dr. PG :

in such cases, the eye is thoroughly washed

Dr. PG :

what lubricating eye drops have been prescribed to her?

Dr. PG :

and how frequently?

Customer:

They are called, "Soothe" I don't believe they are prescription, he says she can use them as often as she needs them. He definitely said it was a "viral" infection. No evidence of a foreign body or injury in her eye. She is a contacts wearer and the problem has been coming and going for months. My question is regarding the betadine wash because it caused her so much pain and her eye has practically swollen shut and is watering like crazy

Dr. PG :

ok

Customer:

Is Betadine an unusual treatment? It seems invasive to put iodine in the eye

Customer:

?

Dr. PG :

what exactly were her symptoms when you took her to the ophthalmologist?

Customer:

Her eye was red/ inflamed and sore. Very sensitive to light.

Customer:

She's very good at keeping her contacts clean and changes her solution every night. The problem has been coming and going in both eyes for a year or more

Dr. PG :

ok

Dr. PG :

if she has been having the same problem for a year or so, then it should not be because of viral infection

Dr. PG :

in contact lens wearers the common causes of red inflammed eye with soreness are either allergies or dryness of eyes

Dr. PG :

if you were told that she has a viral infection, then a wash should not have been done

Dr. PG :

also, soothe are just lubricating eye drops and she should have been given additional treatment for viral infection

Dr. PG :

so, all this does not add up

Dr. PG :

how frequently has she been advised to use the lubricating eye drops?

Customer:

I am frustrated. He is not our usual Opthomologist and I was very unhappy with the answers to my questions. She was told to use them as often as she felt she needed them. She used them about 5 times tonight and says they didn't help at all.

Dr. PG :

ok

Dr. PG :

ideally, she needs to be evalauted again

Dr. PG :

if there is a viral infection then she needs complete treatment for the same depending on the extent of involvement

Customer:

Is it possible there has been damage to her eye? Her eye is more swollen and equally as sore as it was before.

Customer:

what is a common treatment for a viral infection?

Dr. PG :

she might be having a trauma to the cornea (black portion) of the eye

Dr. PG :

this can be due to the infection or worsened by the wash

Dr. PG :

for viral infection the treatment depends on the kind of infection

Customer:

wow, I am angry. I should have followed my instincts with this doc.

Dr. PG :

if she is having a conjunctivitis or pink eye (commonly caused by adenovirus), then she would need with the lubricating eye drop other eye drops like a mild antibiotic and steroid eye drops

Dr. PG :

if the infection is caused by herpes, then she would need oral anti-viral tablets and anti-viral eye ointment

Customer:

In what situations would a wash be used?

Dr. PG :

at present i would advise you to use lubricating eye drop like refresh liquigel (available over the counter0

Dr. PG :

this is a thick eye drop

Dr. PG :

she needs to use it frequently

Dr. PG :

every one minute for 10 minutes

Dr. PG :

every 5 minutes for 15 minutes

Dr. PG :

then every 15 minutes for an hour

Dr. PG :

and then every hourly, till she consults an ophthalmologist

Dr. PG :

a wash is used if we suspect a fine foreign body has gone into the eye

Dr. PG :

like lot of dust, some liquid acid etc

Dr. PG :

then the eye is washed thoroughly

Customer:

Ok, she is asleep now and it is not keeping her up.. should I wake her to give her the liquigel? I will call someone first thing in the morning.

Dr. PG :

let her sleep

Dr. PG :

if possible, get a lubricating eye gel like genteal (available again over the counter)

Dr. PG :

this is again thick jelly like

Dr. PG :

it is in a tube

Dr. PG :

put this in her eye and tell her to go back to sleep

Dr. PG :

both the eye drops and the gel are thick, help in faster healing

Dr. PG :

but on using them she might feel a little blurring of vision because the tear film also becomes thick

Dr. PG :

no need to worry

Dr. PG :

also no splashing of water in the eye

Dr. PG :

she should be off the contact lenses till the ophthalmologist says so

Dr. PG :

i hope this helps and your daughter recovers fast

Dr. PG :

give her an oral pain killer like ibuprofen or tylenol

Customer:

yes, she has taken ibuprofen. I will take care of this. Thank you for your advice.

Dr. PG :

you are most welcome

Customer:

I hope he hasn't cause any more damage.

Customer:

caused

Dr. PG :

should not be

Customer:

good :) thank you again, good night

Dr. PG :

glad to be of help

Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)