Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I RECENTLY NOTICED WHITE GLOW IN BOTH EYES WHEN THERES A PICTURE

Customer Question

I RECENTLY NOTICED WHITE GLOW IN BOTH EYES WHEN THERES A PICTURE TAKEN OF ME WITH A FLASH I SEARCHED THE INTERNET AND READ IT COULD BE TUMORS IS THIS TRUE AND WHAT DO I DO IM REALLY CONCERNED
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat.

Dr. Rick :
Dr. Rick :

I am glad that you are researching your condition. The good news? You have a better chance of winning the MegaMillions then having an asymptomatic tumor in your eye :)

Dr. Rick :

When they talk about noticing a white reflex in the eye as a sign of cancer they are talking about children. Abnormal retinal reflexes (white), either on flash photography, just looking at the child, or on exam, can be an indication of retinoblastoma and other nasty tumors. In these cases it is important to have the child seen by a pediatric ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

Now. In your case. If you don't have a fatal eye cancer, what could be the cause of your white glow? Maybe it is just your wonderful nature showing through? Nahhhhh....not if you are anything like my daughters......

Dr. Rick :

Well, I can tell you. The white glow you are seeing is from your optic nerve (which is kinda whitish/pink) lining up exactly with the lens of the camera and the flash.....when all o this lines up, you get that white glow.

Dr. Rick :

So. The take home message? Don't run your credit cards up to the max.....your gonna live. :o)

Dr. Rick :

You really have nothing to worry about. However, it you wanted to be 100% sure, instead of the 99.999976% sure that I am right now, you could have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I was able to post this answer because I just finished typing it from another customer.....was that you too?

Customer:

In the pictures im the only one with the really big white glow and the rest of the people dont have it its only when the flash is on and taken from a distance this happens to me...

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any vision problems at all in the eye with the white glow?

Customer:

yes i have astigmatism

Customer:

but this white ugly looking glow i bearly noticed recently and its scaring me

Customer:

and its in both eyes when pictures are taken with flash

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I understand completely. There is no need to be scared. You do not have a tumor in your eyes. I'd bet the ranch on it. There is nothing to be worried about.

Dr. Rick :

Also, did you post the same question earlier today? No big deal if you did, it's just for my information since I've answered them both.....

Customer:

then why are my eyes reacting to this flash what is it and does it have anything to do with my eye problem?

Customer:

and yes i think it was me

Customer:

are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, how do you feel about what I've told you? Are you still scared?

Customer:

yes !

Customer:

why are my eyes reacting this way? and could the astigmatism have anything to do with it??

Dr. Rick :

No. Astigmatism will not, unless it is very high and you are not wearing your glasses/contacts, cause that kind of a white reflex.

Dr. Rick :

I bet you are just seeing your optic nerves reflected in the flash

Customer:

no i dont wear contacts or glasses even tho my astigmatism is high.. i cant afford it.. what are optic nerves and why does it cover most of my eyes with the flash??

Dr. Rick :

A complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist would rule out any type of issues you may be having, but I feel very comfortable telling you that everything will be OK. I've been doing this for almost as long as you have been alive and diseases of the retina (such as tumors etc) is my subspecialty.

Customer:

well thats a little bit more of a relief now one more thing just tell me what optic nerves are

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Hi. My internet crashed in the middle of me answering your last question....and I've just got it back on.

The optic nerve is the "cable" that takes the pictures from your eye to your brain. It is a bundle of nerves so it is a kinda whitish/pink color.

I didn't know how much I would miss being connected to the internet...wonder if I should see a shrink about it? :(