Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have eye strain caused by new glasses. The new pair of glasses

I have eye strain caused by new glasses. The new pair of glasses have the same prescription as a 2004 pair; I only wanted a back-up pair. The older pair are perfect. Both use CR39 plastic lenses. Yet when I wear the new glasses, I get eye strain, upset stomach. My optometrist and optician at Lens Crafters tell me the new pair is "spot-on" to the older pair. Yet, I cannot wear them. Is there something different about CR39 today as compared to 2004? I am at a loss here. My family doctor told e this week that she has had a similar problem.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

No. CR39 has been around for a long time and as such, I don't believe that is the cause of your discomfort.

Dr. Rick :

There are other things that could be wrong with the glasses then just the prescription. One would hope that a good optician would check all of them, but you never know.

Dr. Rick :

I would make sure that they checked the optical centers and pantoscopic tilt (tilt on the 180 degree axis) and face form (on the 90 degree axis). If any of these are off you can get asthenopia (problems with the glasses)

Customer:

the prescription is spot on, so is the PD, the base curve and the optical centers. I am told the 2004 pair and the new pair on spot-on is every way

Dr. Rick :

Also, to tell you the truth, I've never been too impressed with the quality of work that comes out of lens crafters. You might be best to request a refund and see an ophthalmologist who has an optical shop in her office.

Dr. Rick :

I find that hard to believe....if it was spot on in each and every measurement then why are you having problems? Something is wrong. Either they are not testing for it, they don't know what they are doing (unlikely) or maybe, just maybe, it is a bad batch of plastic.

Dr. Rick :

how long ago did you pickup the new pair of glasses?

Customer:

I went to an optical lab. They compared the two pairs, and said they were spot-on, but could be an aberration in the 2011 lens due to a grinding or polishing error. Do you know a good opthamologist in the Las Vegas area - one that has his/her own lab. Also are there different grades of CR39 plastic? The refraction in the original pair is 1.498. I am told that a 1.555 would have less distortion. Or should I go to pure glass . I have been told the polycarbonate would be thinner and less distortion, but the material itself may have more distortion.

Dr. Rick :

Also, did you have a new refraction or did they just read your old glasses and make a "pair just like them"? The best way to get the Rx for the new glasses would be with a new refraction.

Customer:

They

Customer:

They read the old glasses

Dr. Rick :

glass is heavy. No, only one type of cr39. 1.555 would only be thinner.

Customer:

Would using the 1.555 solve the problem. And where do I go to get it?

Dr. Rick :

Then there could be an error introduced in reading the old pair.......whatever the cause, you have, it seems, given them ample opportunity to fix it. Ask for you money back, go get a new refraction and buy your glasses from an ophthalmologist who has her own in-house shop.

Dr. Rick :

I don't know, personally, an ophthalmologist in the Las Vegas area, but if you fly me and the wife in I'll help you find one. :o)

Dr. Rick :

All kidding aside, ask your friends, your primary care MD, your blackjack dealer etc, for a reference......

Customer:

Where are you located? My primary doctor also has the same problem with her glasses.

Dr. Rick :

No. The 1.555 would only make your glasses thinner....it has no more or no less distortion then the CR39 at 1.498. Does that make sense?

Dr. Rick :

Northern Wisconsin...and I'm a retina specialist, don't even own a phoropter anymore

Customer:

shouldn't the 1.555 be clearer?

Dr. Rick :

no....same ability to let light through (clearness) just a higher ability to bend light, hence able to be thinner piece of plastic to bend light the same amount of plastic with a lower number. Does this make sense?

Dr. Rick :

ooops....left of out some words.

Customer:

I would drive to Wisconsin, if I thought it would help. I have been dealing with this problem for 2 years. I am in Michigan during the summer. Any opthalmologist there? By the way, the old prescription was just given to me by my optometrist, and he sent me to Lens Crafters.

Dr. Rick :

if 1.498 had to be 1 inch thick to bend light 10 degrees, then 1.555 index plastic would only have to be 3/4 of an inch thick to bend the light the same amount.....

Customer:

My prescription is very mild; it should be simple to replicate.

Dr. Rick :

go to an ophthalmologist......if you still have problems they just won't say "They are spot on...just get used to them" she'll work to find out why you are having a problem

Dr. Rick :

should be, but it's not. Doesn't sound like the current crew is working too hard to find out.

Customer:

I really need a lab, since I have a satisfactory prescription. My older pair are perfect. They just cannot seem to duplicate them.

Dr. Rick :

Any ophthalmologist's name I gave you would be from the AAO membership list....you, really, would do best to ask your friends and associates

Customer:

Prescription: OD +1.00 -.25 x 033

Dr. Rick :

don't break those old ones :)

Customer:

OS +1.00 spn

Customer:

reading portion +2.00

Customer:

Is there a lab in Detroit area? A good ophthalmologist?

Customer:

Is there anyway to discuss this is a short phone conversation? I am at a loss here

Dr. Rick :

Your right, that is not a very strong Rx. Because it is a hyperopic Rx you really need two, and maybe three, refractions: Wet, dry and then a balance Rx to see if you have any hidden hyperopia. Also a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist looking for tear film, corneal or lens abnormalities is really indicated in your case.

Dr. Rick :

There are ton and tons of good ophthalmologists and labs in both Las Vegas and the Detroit area. I do not know any of them but I can find names for you. You would, once again, be better served in my opinion to ask around yourself.

Dr. Rick :

no. This chat is the only way to do it on justanswer.

Dr. Rick :

And this way you can print out our conversation for your records

Customer:

The glasses I am now wearing are perfect . I just want the same. Yes, I would appreciate your recommendation for the ophthalmologists and labs inthese two areas. Las Vegas and Detroit

Dr. Rick :

OK. Be right back. It may take me a few moments.

Customer:

Thank you. What could be the difference between the two pairs - the 2004 I love and the 2011 that cause eye strain. Also if I wish to chat with you again, how would I get ahold of you. You have been very helpful

Dr. Rick : Abrams Jack MD
(702)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/div>
6450 Medical Center St, Las Vegas, NV 89148

Dr. Rick :

He is well thought of by the members of the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO)

Customer:

Is this your web-site?

Dr. Rick :

The above web link is probably, in my opinion, your best bet. This is one of top 10 eye institutes in the USA and among the best in the world. If they can't figure out your issue it can't be figured out. I don't know why I didn't think of them earlier when you mentioned Detroit.....

Dr. Rick :

No. Like I said, I am in a small town in Wisconsin and my practice is limited to diseases of the retina and vitreous.....I no longer do general ophthalmology...although I did do it for about 12 years before obtaining advanced training in retina.

Customer:

One more thing. Do you think a thinner lens, maybe polycarbonate material would help or make the problem worse?

Dr. Rick :

So if you have age related macular disease etc I'm you man :)

Dr. Rick :

I do not believe that the material used in the construction of your glasses is the cause of your problem...I like polycarbonate as it protects the eyes but it does tend to scratch easily.

Customer:

But would there be less distortion?

Dr. Rick :

If you can wait until you come back North, I'd hold off and go to the Kresge eye institute.

Dr. Rick :

Like I mentioned the material used, the thickness of the material used etc has nothing to do with distortion. All the lenses are supposed to be ground to exacting tolerances to be free of any distortions (unless they are for use in the Hubble Telescope)

Dr. Rick :

and that was a mirror anyway ;-)

Customer:

What do you think the problem might be. I love my 2004 pair; the 2011 cause problems

Dr. Rick :

That is the million dollar question..... There is no way for me to tell you exactly what the problem is without the complete eye exam, going over the glasses with a fine tooth comb and, even then I may not come up with an answer. It sure is not possible for my to give you a creditable answer with chat as my only diagnostic tool ......I

Dr. Rick :

I think your new glasses need to be returned for a full refund and then you should go see the folks at the eye institute in detroit.. We have spent 45+ minutes chatting about this and I hope I've been helpful.

Customer:

Could it be an aberration in the new ones? I have found your replies helpful. And I will check out the resources

Dr. Rick :

Something is wrong with those glasses. If they won't give you your money back for them you can fix them easily by placing them in a brown paper bag, carefully closing the bag, and then driving over the bag with your car.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

does that make sense to you?

Customer:

Last question: If I had glasses made in Canada, would the regulations be different where there might be less distortion

Dr. Rick :

no. It is a world wide standard for the grinding of glasses, mirrors etc.

Customer:

Thank you. I will be happy to follow-up with yoour resources

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good night.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if I can be of any further assistance
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest