Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I have shingles in my eye area and my forehead and scalp..My

I have shingles in my eye area and my forehead and scalp..My eye is very painful..I have an appt with an opthalmalogist but not until Monday..Is there anything to help the discomfort and pain. How do I know if if will impact my vision..

Dr. James :

Hello.

Customer:

Hi

Dr. James :

Before we begin.

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Do you understand those terms?

Please type "yes" or "no".

Customer:

yes

Dr. James :

Thank you.

Dr. James :

When did the eye pain begin?
Is the appointment with an ophthalmologist you normally see?

Customer:

I am on the 20th day of the shingles and it started hurting my eye right away. I went to Urgent Care and the physician there told me she hoped it wasn't in my eye and didn't think it was...but suggested I go to a Ophthalmologist..I have not been to him, but he was recommended to me.

Dr. James :

So you have not had an eye exam since this started?

Customer:

no

Dr. James :

How is your vision?
Is the pain improving at all?

Customer:

My vision isn't as good as normal..i wear corrective lenses always for both distance and reading. The pain isn't as bad as the beginning, however, my eye is red and lazy..

Dr. James :

I'm concerned.

Customer:

me too

Dr. James :

I recommend you call that ophthalmologist and be seen tomorrow. Tell them your eye is in pain and has not improved after 20 days of shingles treatment.

Customer:

OK...is there anything to put on it to help the pain tonight...will this heal?

Dr. James :

First, you need to assess if there is any damage. I am worried about scarring to the eyes and inflammation inside the eyes.

Dr. James :

You can try cool compresses and artificial tears.

Customer:

I will call the doctor in the morning..should I keep calling any ophthalmalogist to be seen tomorrow..Are there drops or something to help the shingles if they are in my eyes..?

Dr. James :

Yes, there are drops available if there is any evidence of inflammation.

Dr. James :

Start with the doctor you have an appointment with. If the reception does not understand the urgency, talk to the nurse or the doctor himself.

Customer:

Thank you very much..I will get on it in the morning..Holly

Dr. James :

?You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.