Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I just found out today that I have retinal atrophy in one eye,

I just found out today that I have retinal atrophy in one eye, I cannot locate any information on this, only in cats and dogs. Could you please explain this to me and what the oulook is?
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
There are many types of retinal diseases that can be called "retinal atrophy".

Did you see an optometrist or an ophthalmologist for this diagnosis?

Do you have any visual problems in the affected eye?

Do you have any medical problems, take any medicine, or wear glasses? Do you know, approximately, what your glasses Rx is?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I saw an opthalmologist today, I felt I had visual changes in the opposite eye, I have what is called baretts esophogus and hydial hurnia and have recently started taking omeprozol and I have worn glasses since was 7 and have suffered from migrains for the same lengh of time.

What did the ophthalmologist say about this "atrophy"? Did he seem concerned or that it needed treatment?

I think I know what he is talking about but I just need to be a little clearer on your symptoms, if any, from this and a little more about what the eye MD said. if possible.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I thought I had no symptoms until he checked my periforal vision and noticed it is diminished in the left eye, not severly, just a bit. The MD suggested I see a retinal specialist. I went and had a second opinion and she (md also) said that it does NOT look like an atrophy but rather a large scar, that could have been there since before I was born and that "it does not look active". Now I have two different diagnosis and don't know what to do.
I am a retina specialist and can think of a couple of things your doctor could be talking about. A common scar that would be thought to be "present since birth" and also "does not look active" would be called congenital toxoplasmosis. These scares, however, are usually near the center of the retina in an area called the macula but they can be found peripherally also.

Another form of peripheral retinal scar that could be discussed as "doesn't look active" would be histoplasmosis. This is an infection that many times goes unnoticed but leaves little "punched out" lesions in the retina.

There is no treatment necessary for either of these conditions when they are inactive.

I would hope that most general ophthalmologists could tell these two conditions apart and would also be able to identify a large number of different types of peripheral retinal conditions. A retinal specialist, of course, would be the person best trained to diagnose and treat any peripheral retinal pathology present. At this time however, from what you have told me, it does not seem like it is necessary to see a retina MD as I believe you will be OK as long as the general ophthalmologist is not concerned.

Without seeing your retina myself, and using "chat" as my only diagnostic tool, it is difficult to be 100% sure of what is going on. However, it sounds like it is nothing that needs treatment at this time, nor would I expect it to continue to damage your vision.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Are there any other concerns or issues you would like addressed on this topic?