Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I just returned from an appointment with my opthamologist.

I just returned from an appointment with my opthamologist. After administering a series of drops, he examined my eyes and stated everything looked very good with no signs of glaucoma. I have also had optic nerve scans so that I have a base line as there is glaucoma in my family. He has viewed these scans and there are no problems there as well. I have had cataracts removed in both eyes around 6 years ago. He then asked me to take a side vision test which I did not do well. I am always anxious when asked to do this and have had varied results in the past but he wants me to take another test in 4 months. Being a worrier - how concerned should I be re above?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

You should not be worried at all. It is very common to repeat the visual field tests a couple of times so that an average of the results can be obtained and this average used as a "basline". This baseline is then used as a yardstick to measure any future change against.

Dr. Rick :

It is very common to do a poor job of taking the test the first time so don't give it a second thought.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to the chat room.

Dr. Rick :

The most important part is that your optic nerve is healthy on exam and OCT and that you eye pressure in not elevated.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

yes - he told me all of that was good and seemed surprised I failed the vision test but told me he would do a different one when I come back in 4 months - is there something I can do in the meantime so check my side vision so I am better prepared as I get so darn nervous when I am "under the gun" so to speak. I am having my annual optic nerve scan next week so that will be updated as well.

Customer:

what is OCT

Dr. Rick :

No, not really. Any check of your side vision you could do would be so "rough" as to not be useful. There really is no reason for you to worry. Another thing in your favor is your age -- glaucoma (which it seems you Don't Have) is a slowly progressive disease.

Customer:

would macular show up as well - there was no mention of that

Dr. Rick :

So, for a moment, let's pretend that you do have glaucoma. it could take 15 or 20 years until you lost any significant sight from it....and what do you need to be looking at when you are 95 years old anyway :o)

Dr. Rick :

he would have noticed macular disease and mentioned it if you have any....sounds like you are in good hands with this ophthalmologist.

Customer:

well said that puts my mind somewhat at ease I must say

Dr. Rick :

I'm glad.

Customer:

he is a good doctor but doesn't spend too much time with you so thank you for your reassurance.

Customer:

are there a lot of different peripheral vision test that are used when checking side vision

Dr. Rick :

That is what medicare has done to physicians now a days.....decreased our pay so much that we have to work twice as hard to make half as much. I told my kids to do something else instead of becoming a retina surgeon. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but there are days when dealing with insurance companies when I could be driven to drink.

Dr. Rick :

not really. Humphrey Visual Field, program 30-2 is the most common one used now a days.

Customer:

okay thanks again - I hope I pass the next one - would having eye drops before the test hamper the results usually I have done the test before the drops today was different

Dr. Rick :

Not really. Usually the test is done with out dilation first. I'm surprised he did your first, baseline test, with them dilated. It can skew the results a little bit. But not to worry.....you did so poorly on the test that it will most likely be thrown out.... :)

Customer:

... and I'll get a second chance right!

Dr. Rick :

truth

Customer:

or third or ......

Dr. Rick :

now your getting the hang of it ;)

Customer:

hopefully not ... thanks for your help I feel much better now ... a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Dr. Rick :

true....just look at all the optometrists out there.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest