Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

I have a yellowish mark under my eyebrow in the corner on my

I have a yellowish mark under my eyebrow in the corner on my eyelid, is that from cholesterol or just a pigment mark. I just started to get it about 3months ago. What can I do to get rid of it?

Thank You
Linda Sydlosky
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are right that such a yellowish mark is usually due to raised cholestrol levels. It does not require any treatment as such.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is called as xanthelesma.

Customer:

i am trying to

Customer:

get my cholestrol

Customer:

down, will this

Customer:

go away

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, it will not disappear even if you try to reduce the cholestrol levels now. But that should not deter you from trying to reduce the cholestrol level as it is going to be beneficial to the rest of the body.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

For cosmetic purpose large xanthelasma can be surgically removed. The moderate ones are treated by CO2 lasers also.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But no amount of medicines will be helpful here.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you are concerned about the appearance then you can contact a dermatologist as they have the expertise to remove these at office by laser or chemical treatment.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Otherwise the small ones can be best left alone.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there any other information you would like to ask?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Full Size Image
this image shows a typical appearance of xanthelasma

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Of course the number, size, position may vary from person to person.

Customer:

Sorry, i had to take a phone call. Thank you for your help. So you say maybe they can be removed

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes , depending on their size the method or removal is decided by the dermatologist.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

"of"

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If there is nothing more to discuss then I'll exit the chat with the customary signing off message- Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer:

Thank You So Much

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince