Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I wear contacts and Im 31 years old. I woke up this morning

I wear contacts and I'm 31 years old. I woke up this morning and the right half of my right eye was red and itchy with pain being a 4 (1-10, 10 the worst).

During the day it has turned more red and the pain increasing. My other eye is starting to get red but not as bad as my right eye. I just recovered from type b flu two weeks ago.

Currently my eye just really hurts (7). I took my contacts out about 2 hours ago.

My husband scratched his eye a few months ago and has Acular .5%. Can I use this for the pain? Do you think this is pink eye? If so, do you recommend any over the counter meds?

Thank you!

Carly
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Yes you can use Acular eye drops for symptomatic relief but do remember that any eye drops bottle can only be used within a month of opening after which it needs to be discarded. You can use the prescription to buy another one though.

It would be difficult to tell without an eye exam whether it is a pink eye from viral conjunctivitis( more likely since you had an episode of viral flu few weeks back) or an allergic kerato-conjunctivitis. Either ways you will need to stop wearing the contact lenses for 2-3 weeks at least and switch over to glasses till then. Only once the cornea is completely clear and there is no lurking infection( viral) can you resume wearing your contact lenses. Acular eye drops will help in case of allergic KC but will not have much effect on viral conjunctivitis. The latter is a self limiting condition and will resolve in 2 weeks time. In case you begin to notice more redness /pain /intolerence to bright light/ discharge then it would be wise to consult an ophthalmologist for a closer look at the eye. In case of these symptoms additional eye drops may have to be started which are prescription medicines.

Continue with the lubricating eye drops in the meanwhile.

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince