Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have a problem with my right eye fogging up when I work hard

I have a problem with my right eye fogging up when I work hard enough to raise my body temp. Once my eye fogs over it will last anywhere from 2 to 6 hrs. If I take a asprin it will speed up the removeal of the fog. I presently take Plavix and 2 baby asprin a day. Thanks for any help with this probelm.
Dave
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. Unilateral vision loss that occurs on exertion points to a problem with supply and demand. Your heart has to work harder in these instances and sometimes this can lead to a phenomenon where blood is "stolen", in effect, from other parts of the body and re-routed to the parts that are more physically active. This can also come from an exertional hypotension (or lower blood pressure because of exertion) which can also cause this. Finally, there may be additional confounding factors such as atherosclerotic carotid artery disease which, if significantly impeding the flow of blood at rest, may further exacerbate the problem during exertion.

I would recommend first getting a complete eye examination by your ophthalmologist to rule out any other causes for transient vision loss. I would also recommend seeing your primary care doctor very soon to have tests on the heart, blood pressure, and carotid arteries to determine if any of these abnormalities are happening that may be causing this phenomenon. More important than the vision, though, is the fact that these symptoms may be warning signs of possibly more catastrophic events in the future such as heart attacks or strokes; this is the most important reason to get this checked out by your PCP as soon as possible.

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.