Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

idear sirs, im 48 and all my life ive been plagued with

idear sirs,

im 48 and all my life ive been plagued with a lazy eye.
i had a correction done when i was very young but i still have a squint.
have techniques improved over the years wher a correction can still be had that 99 % successfull.

if so can you advise on who i should talk to.

ta
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Did you have a surgical correction ? Post surgery your eye still appears to squint , right?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

How is the vision in the affected eye? Lazy eye is the common word for amblyopia, in which the brain refuses to accept the vision beyond a certain level and the vision remains reduced inspite of any futher treatment.

Customer:

yes i had surgery when i was very young.

Customer:

i went through a patching exercise to teach my brain to use both eyes. Right now i where glasses and still have to correct my vision because one eye is slightly worse than the other. I know when my eye is in the squint position because the vision is clearer from using the stronger eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Patching is done only during childhood before the amblyopia sets in .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

At this age , further eye surgery for the remaining squint will only serve for cosmetic purpose and will not help to improve your vision.

Customer:

i would be happy with that, im too old for 20 20 vision. how successfull can this surgery be and is it available on the NHS. must i be referred from my GP

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Accuracy of any squint surgery is difficult to be predicted and a slight under or over correction in the best of hands can always occur . But it is usually a few degrees and should not be much of a problem. You would need a referral from your GP to an ophthalmologist or preferrably a squint specialist( A squint specialist is also an ophthalmologist with additional training in the speciality). I need to check out if it is available on the NHS.

Customer:

Ok if you could advise on the availability that would be great. thanks for your advice.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Just checked out and found that squint surgery is available on the NHS. You would need a referral from your GP to an ophthalmologist who can guide you further to a squint specialist.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

For more information in this regard you can follow this link- http://www.lazyeyesite.org/whatnow.html

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.