Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi, I wonder why my eyes prescription change. My current

Hi, I wonder why my eyes prescription change.

My current prescription is -3.25 for both sides. I am only 21, college student.

How can I improve my eyes. your attention to this matter will be much appreciated.
Mowlid
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

yes please answer

Dr. Rick :

It is common for your eyeglass prescription to change over time, especially in near sighted folks like yourself.

Dr. Rick :

All these places that promise to stop things from changing, return your vision to never needing glasses if you will just take this pill or use this fancy gizmo with the lights and whistles on it are all just bunk.

Dr. Rick :

There is nothing that you can do to change what prescription your eyes will need or how much, if any, your Rx will change over time. It's genetics. Blame your parents.

Customer:

I did not understand

Customer:

How can I blame my parents

Dr. Rick :

Does that make sense now.

Dr. Rick :

For needing glasses themselves and passing those genes onto you when you were born :o)

Customer:

Well. but I want to make sure that my eyes stays the same and more healtheir

Customer:

how can I do that

Customer:

is there any food or any other thing you recommend

Dr. Rick :

There is no way to make your eyes stay the same. Your glasses prescription will change as it sees fit.

Dr. Rick :

Also, just because you need glasses, or thicker glasses, has nothing to do with the health of your eyes. They are healthy....they just need glasses.

Customer:

is -3.25 is bad

Customer:

?

Dr. Rick :

no food. No exercises, No pills will help.

Customer:

how about carrots

Dr. Rick :

No that is not bad at all....normal, everyday nearsightedness.

Dr. Rick :

If you like them eat them, but they won't do anything good or bad for your eyes. A healthy USA diet covers everything you need.

Customer:

well. for how long is gonna change

Dr. Rick :

Most likely your entire life.

Dr. Rick :

It may settle down, and if it does you can have LASIK surgery to get rid of your need to wear glasses

Customer:

hmmmmmmmm

Customer:

do you think surgery will help

Dr. Rick :

Sorry about that....but those are the facts.

Dr. Rick :

I would not recommend surgery until your eyeglasses Rx has not changed for at least one year.

Dr. Rick :

still there?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

how about if every year is changing

Customer:

well I still have other questions

Dr. Rick :

then, if you would pay for surgery to get rid of your glasses, and then your need for glasses power changed again, you would have wasted your money since you would need glasses again and my not be a candidate for further surgery.

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Customer:

you as a expert

Dr. Rick :

Yes. Me as an expert........

Customer:

how you evaluate my prescribtion

Customer:

it is -3.25

Dr. Rick :

Normal spherical myopia.

Dr. Rick :

nothing to worry about.

Customer:

do you think alot of people have te same prescription

Dr. Rick :

millions

Customer:

ok

Customer:

I worry why my eyes are like this

Dr. Rick :

Nothing to worry about. You are just nearsighted. Now, if you had lived 1,500 years ago you would be out of luck since glasses weren't available then and some saber tooth tiger would have you for dinner.

Dr. Rick :

Anything else I can help you with? If not you can push that pretty green button on your screen.....

Customer:

wait

Dr. Rick :

yes

Customer:

for how long you think I will stay with this

Customer:

nearsighted

Dr. Rick :

until the day you die.

Customer:

but is it going to affect my vision

Customer:

how I see

Dr. Rick :

To see you, like hundreds of millions of humans across the world, need to wear glasses. And your glasses are not even that bad. Do not stress over it.

Customer:

I mean am I going to suffer or

Customer:

?

Dr. Rick :

Are you suffering now?

Customer:

no

Customer:

at all

Customer:

I am talking in the future

Dr. Rick :

Ok then. I guess you answerd your own question then.....

Customer:

I only have burning

Customer:

on soetimes

Customer:

how can I avoid that

Dr. Rick :

Everyone one of us will suffer sometime during our lifetimes. It is part of the human condition. To avoid suffering in the future? Die now.

Dr. Rick :

otherwise, don't worry about it.

Customer:

do u wear classes

Dr. Rick :

no. Just for reading

Customer:

ok

Customer:

My last question

Dr. Rick :

k

Customer:

I am 21 now. and as you see my prescribtion is -3.25

Dr. Rick :

correct

Customer:

if every year changes my prescribtiom

Customer:

it will be a problem

Customer:

right?

Customer:

Since I am young

Customer:

and my eyes are changing every year

Dr. Rick :

First off, it may not change every year, or change as much as it did this year. It may stop changing. And even if it does, it won't be a problem as long as you can afford new glasses.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

Thank you

Dr. Rick :

No one can tell how much, when or even if your Rx will change in the future.....well, maybe a palm reader :) , never tried that.

Customer:

have you seen people

Dr. Rick :

yes

Customer:

who have worst than I do

Customer:

I mean prescriptio

Dr. Rick :

as a retina specialist I see people who would give their right arm to change glasses Rx with you.

Customer:

lol

Dr. Rick :

:)

Customer:

Thank you

Dr. Rick :

Ok. See the pretty green button? You really want to press it.......it won't hurt you.....give it a try ;o)

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure. Take care and try not to worry.

Customer:

Well. what is your advice regarding my eyes

Dr. Rick :

don't stress over it, study hard and chase a lot of women. That is what college is REALLY for.

Dr. Rick :

gotta go. Take care.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Good luck on Finals