Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

night complaining of intense burning sensation in his eyes..his vision

my husband woke in the middle of the night complaining of intense burning sensation in his eyes. When he opens them it feels like acid in them or something and his vision is cloudy. He was exposed to a welding flash but was fine until after he was asleep for a couple of hours.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Did he have any other eye problem prior to this episode?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does he wear contact lenses?

Customer:

No. just earlier in the night he said it felt like his eye was scratched but nothing hurt. he doesn't wear contacts

Dr. A.S. Desai :

When you shine the torch on the eye do you see any white lesion on the cornea( the colored part of the eye)?

Customer:

I can check.. he can barely stand to open them.. they look bloodshot but other than that I don't see anything

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does he remember about the eye being scratched/any injury/trauma to the eye? Any foreign body had entered the eye?

Customer:

The only thing he mentioned was being exposed to a weld flash earlier at work, but he has been exposed to them before and they seem to self correct over night... nothing else has happened or come in contact with his eye

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. There are two possibilities here. There could be a corneal erosion due to the welding flash or there could be a possibility of a tiny foreign body having entered the eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The best solution as of now is use lubricating eye drops and lubricating eye ointment now and patch the eye.

Customer:

how do I know which... its in both eyes not just one

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is the vision equally cloudy in both the eyes or just in one of the eyes?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I know with the severe burning sensation it would be difficult to do so but if he can possibly cover one eye and check the other it would help.

Customer:

its equally cloudy in both but he says his right eye(the one he felt was scratched earlier) hurts more than his left

Dr. A.S. Desai :

do you have any lubricating eye drops with you ?

Customer:

I don't think so but I can run to the store.. I did put a cold washcloth on his eyes and he says it is relieving some of the burning..

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you do go to the ER, they will stain the cornea in both eyes and look for positive staining. If yes then the treatment is lubricating eye drops and ointment with patching for 3 days. Usually the superficial layer of the cornea heals within 24 hours( as has been the case earlier )

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess you can start with the lubricating eye drops and ointment with patching for 24 hours.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can get preservative free Refresh tears eye drops and I-lube eye ointment.

Customer:

I found some eye drops... so try these and keep it covered?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Can you please check its label?

Customer:

yep i have sterile eye drops with tetrahydrozoline hydrochloride and I also have eye wash

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, I guess it is better to buy the lubricating eye drops and ointment as the above drops are more of decongestant eye drops with not much of lubricating properties.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can check out its effect by morning. If he feels better after the patching and drops and ointment , then its worth continuing for 2 more days. But if he feels no better then it is better to visit an ophthalmologist for a closer look at the eye and change in medicines if need be.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anyhting else that I can answer for you?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you there? Can't see you in the chat room?

Customer:

sorry i was checking on him

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. I was about to exit from the chat. How is he?

Customer:

It seems the washcloth is relieving some pain, but the light being on hurts even with his eyes closed. I guess my main worry is that its something severe.. Obviously he's worried about it affecting his vision. do you think it could just vbe the corneal erosion or any chance it could be worse?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The most common causes of such severe eye pain are corneal lesion( abrasion/ulcer) , iritis, acute congestive glaucoma. I would not think in terms of the latter two in case of your husband so that leaves us with the possibility of some corneal erosion ( especially with history of exposure to welding flash). I'm sure he will feel better with the lubrication and patching .

Customer:

Thank you! We will give it a try.. and see how he is by morning.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Follow this link for more information on this condition called photokeratitis.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photokeratitis. Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.