Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

what happens if the jelly gets on the outside of your eye

what happens if the jelly gets on the outside of your eye ? this happened to my husband after cataract surgery
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

That is called vitreous loss. It can happen during cataract surgery and, most of the time when handled by an experienced cataract surgeon, it doesn't cause any long term problems or decreased vision.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

How is your husband doing post-op? Other then the vitreous loss, did the remainder of his cataract surgery go OK? How long ago was this event and, if it was recent, what eye drops is he currently using?

Customer:

The surgery was two years ago .he ended up blind 6 weeks, but his sight finally returned. Now we're dealing with Bullous Keratopathy- Pseudophakic. He keeps getting blisters on his eye. they never seem to heal. Is the jelly getting on his eye the cause of this?

Dr. Rick :

No. That is not from the jelly. The cells that keep his cornea clear (endothelial cells) are no longer working and they need to be replaced.

Dr. Rick :

There are two surgeries that can do this, the first is called DSEK (endothelial cell transplant) the second is called PK (corneal transplant) If his cornea has a lot of blisters on it the surgeon may not be able to see clearly enough inside his eye to do a DSEK and , in this case, he would need a corneal transplant.

Customer:

what does this consist of?

Dr. Rick :

These surgeries are usually done by a corneal specialist.

Dr. Rick :

A PK consists of removing his cornea, throwing it away and sewing on a new one.

Dr. Rick :

A DSEK keeps his native cornea, removes the layer of cells from inside the cornea (endothelial cells) and replaces it with a new layer of the same cells. These cells, just like the cornea for transplant come from human donors.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

what will have to be done, he's in a lot of pain!

Customer:

How soon does this need to be done? He's already blind in his left eye.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
The chat system showed you offline....I think it was frozen up. I'm still here.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Those blisters are very, very painful.

He will need a new cornea. There is really no getting around it at this point. I suggest you make an appointment with a corneal specialist for a complete eye exam and discussion of the possible treatments. Replacing either his cornea (PK) or his defective endothelial tissue (DSEK) will resolve his painful blisters.

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Are there any other concerns or issues you would like addressed on this topic?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
there is no rush. His "blindness" in that eye may be due to his failed cornea and, if this is true, and the rest of his eye is OK, he should get back his vision after this is fixed.

The sooner he gets in to see a cornea specialist the sooner he can learn what options he has, and if transplant is a possibility, the sooner he can be pain free.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so very much for all of time in answering my questions I understand what needs to be done now.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure. I wish you and your husband the best of luck. Have a good evening.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.