Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

My daughter, 42, got a new prescription for contact lenses

Customer Question

My daughter, 42, got a new prescription for contact lenses on Friday. She has had no trouble until this morning she had blurred vision in one eye. Optometrist said rentena and cornea are fine. Gave her eye drops for dry eyes. Eye is still blurred after applying drops every hour for the last 9 hours. When will her vision improve or is it something else?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer :

O.K.

Customer :

I'm here as well.

Customer :

Dr. Rick are you still there?

Customer :

What do you think my daughter should do?

Dr. Rick :

I'm sorry I had to step away from my computer. Are yo still there?

Customer :

Yes

Dr. Rick :

Also, does she sleep in the contacts?

Customer :

No

Dr. Rick :

how does the eye look, is it red etc, painful....etc?

Customer :

None of the above. Just hard to see with one eye blurry. She is using her glasses only.

Dr. Rick :

I don't think her problem is the retina, but just for the record an optometrist doesn't know enough about the retina to even know what he doesn't know.....

Dr. Rick :

can she see with the glasses?

Customer :

Just the one eye.

Dr. Rick :

Well, if the eye is not painful, and it is not red and, per the optometrist, is normal on slit lamp exam and she just had the problem after wearing new contacts, then I think the most likely cause of her problem is a warped cornea from a defective contact lens/wrong fit.

Dr. Rick :

If this is the case things should be back to normal by the morning.

Customer :

Should she return the contacts and just wear her glasses until she can make an appt. with an eye Doctor?

Dr. Rick :

Ya. Do not wear those contacts anymore :) And if things aren't better by tomorrow noon I would see an ophthalmologist since this issue seems to be beyond the optometrist to diagnose and treat effectively.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer :

Yes it does. That is what I told her earlier to try to make an appt. tomorrow. She doesn't have one so it might be a wait to get an appt. but we'll hope for the best. Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Have a good evening.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.