Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

-25 sphere cylinder -25 both eyes axis right 180 axis left

Customer Question

-25 sphere cylinder -25 both eyes axis right 180 axis left 115 do i need glasses
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

i wanted to know if i need glasses

Dr. Rick :

I would't think so. If you didn't want to be taking reading glasses off and on all the time and was thinking of getting bifocal or progressive glasses for near, then, what the heck.....go ahead and put that minute amount of distance in the glasses.

Dr. Rick :

You wouldn't be able to tell the difference in your distance vision with or without that Rx if your tried.....

Dr. Rick :

so I guess it is just a matter of expense....

Dr. Rick :

does that make sense to you?

Customer:

the doctor said i need them for nite driving

Dr. Rick :

BS

Dr. Rick :

to put it bluntly.

Dr. Rick :

Sounds more like the doctor needs the profit from the prescription readers.....

Customer:

i think u are right he said it was a stigmatism they want 500 for glasses

Dr. Rick :

Time to dump this doctor and tell all your friend to stay, far, far away from his office.

Customer:

thank u

Dr. Rick :

.25 of astigmatism is so small as to be unable to be detected by you.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

he said i nees them with the axis 180 right 115 left

Dr. Rick :

It always upsets me to see eye doctors (Is this guy an optometrist perhaps) ripping off people who give them their trust.

Dr. Rick :

If I gave you a pair of blank glass glasses and then a pair of those Rx distance glasses there is no way you could pick out which one was which.....

Customer:

he is with a my diabetic eye doctor and he has optical shop there

Dr. Rick :

Not very nice then.....hope he does a better job on his retina exams.

Dr. Rick :

oh...I get it. He is an optometrist at the Ophthalmologists office....

Dr. Rick :

But policy like that flows downhill I would think.

Customer:

y diabetic doctor said i had great eyes no problem she just sent me over for a req eye check

Customer:

thank u he said i had night time myop something

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina specialist so I take care the advanced diabetic cases sent from general ophthalmologists when it is beyond what they feel comfortable dealing with. Maybe the eye MD at this office doesn't know that way the optician is using underhanded statements to sell expensive glasses.....it's possible.

Dr. Rick :

Everyone has a nighttime myopic shift. Trust me. You will be fine driving at night with no glasses (of course, I've never seen you drive lol)

Customer:

he will not refund money and he has the glasses he first put 225 readers in and i was walking like i was near a step i would step and nothing there

Dr. Rick :

Bifocals do that with steps...takes getting used to.

Customer:

i have a prefect driving record since i was 16 not even a ticket

Dr. Rick :

you sound like my wife....I can't wait until she gets a ticket so I can say "NaaNaaNaaa" and stick out my tongue. But so far, no tickets. :(

Customer:

i say his parter hesaid i had 20 20 just buy otc readers his parter said i need them it will be so much better to see at night

Customer:

it is women we drive better then men

Dr. Rick :

The first one is correct. For the price of OTC readers you could buy a bucket full of readers and leave them everywher.

Customer:

thanks dr u really helped me now . u would love to be a fly on the wall when i go in and tell him where to put them and credit me

Dr. Rick :

I would talk to the owner of the practice, if you want your money back, tell him what I've told you and that if he doesn't refund your money you will tell the BBB, all your friends, the Medical board etc and make sure that these are the most expensive pair of glasses he has ever sold.

Dr. Rick :

And say it loudly so everyone in the waiting room can clearly hear it.

Customer:

i am sure he sell higher if mine with no rx can u imagine what he does with people that need glasses

Dr. Rick :

From what you have told me he is a pox on eye care everywhere. He should have gone to law school where you are expected to take advantage of people during their times of need.

Customer:

upmc mercy eye care is wonderful his little office need to go i am in pittsburgh pa

Customer:

thank u so much

Dr. Rick :

Wills Eye Hospital, which is in your backyard , is one of the best eye care institutes in the world....they would not tolerate such activity in any of their optometrists, I can tell you that.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Best of luck to you

Customer:

thanks

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if I can be of any further assistance. Have a great day -- and enjoy your next visit to "discuss" your glasses.