Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi I am short sighted with a stigmatism, and went throught

Hi I am short sighted with a stigmatism, and went throught the process to get lazer treatment, I got as far as my surgery day and was then refused because my cornia's were to thin to carry out the surgery, I would like to know if Intacts could be a soloution for me as I have never go ton with contact lenses
is this procedure available in the UK? what is the average cost for this procedure?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Many people who are near sighted with astigmatism like yourself who are not candidates for LASIK can safely have PRK with the same final visual outcome. Did your surgeon mention this?

Customer:

he did but at the time there wasn't anyone in the uk performing this procedure

Dr. Rick :

intacs are good for mild myopia, very good for keratoconus but not so great for astigmatism.

Dr. Rick :

I really think that PRK, even though you have to go through about 3 days or so of pretty extensive post-op pain, is your best option. There must be someone somewhere in the entire UK doing PRK. Heck, a place that does LASIK, using different nomograms to program their equipment, can use the exact same laser and setup to do PRK if they want to....

Customer:

ok so maybe not worth the bother, i wanted rid of my glasses but if it doesn't correct every defect then its a none starter, is that what your saying or would it be worth having a consultation

Dr. Rick :

That is what I am saying. Intacs, if you have any significant astigmatism intacs is not for you....PRK would work just fine if you can find a place to do it for you. Does this make sense?

Dr. Rick :

I see you have gone offline......

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
I am still here to work on your question more if you would like. If not, have a great day!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my original question was if the procedure was available in the UK and what is the average cost of this procedure, while you have very helpful explaining what the different procedures cover, i am still none the wiser for the questions mentioned above