Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi there - I have had an eye ulcer for almost three weeks now

Hi there - I have had an eye ulcer for almost three weeks now and it is still extremely painful and I cannot reach up or bend down without it hurting. My doctor gave me antibiotic eyedrops and my optician gave me steroid eyedrops. Could you suggest anything else please as I am really fed up with it.

Thank you, Christine
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Thank you very much

Customer:

Do hope you can help :o)

Dr. Rick :

Well, the antibiotic eye drops, of course, treat some possible organisms that my be causing a bacterial infection. The steroids would make the same bacterial infection much worse -- they are indicated for ulcers due to inflammation. If your ulcer was from a virus, such as herpes for example, using the steroid would be like putting gasoline one a fire -- not recommended.

Customer:

It certainly doesn't seem to have helped.

Dr. Rick :

Has anyone tried to figure out what was actually causing your ulcer before throwing drops at it?

Customer:

They just presumed that I am run down and it has developed from this. The fact that I have dry eye and arthritis were mentioned.

Dr. Rick :

Have you seen an ophthalmologist or just an optician and a GP?

Customer:

Just an optician and GP.

Dr. Rick :

They could be inciting factors, but at this point it is way past time that they figure out what is causing it....what they have done so is just muck up the picture. I don't do heart attacks and GPs shouldn't do eyes :)

Dr. Rick :

I would suggest you get in to see an ophthalmologist ASAP. An corneal ulcer that has been going on this long can end up causing permanent vision loss....

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes, it all makes sense, thank you.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I know it can be hard to get in to see a specialist in the UK, but see if you can get in today if at all possible....

Dr. Rick :

I

Dr. Rick :

It's mid afternoon on your side of the pond right now, correct?

Customer:

Unfortunately I live in the Shetland Islands but I will enquire if we have an opthalmologist. Yes, it's 16.33

Dr. Rick :

I think I have searched for an eye MD on your island before and found one......just use google. Do you want me to check for you?

Customer:

Yes please

Dr. Rick :

ok be right back.

Customer:

Thank you

Dr. Rick :

You know, none are coming up on a Google search or with the American Academy of Ophthalmology UK search. I guess the easiest way to find the closest ophthalmologist would be to ask your optician. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Customer:

I can do that, thank you. Thank you for your help.

Dr. Rick :

I'd love to come to you Island and take care of you for the price of the airfare....but I'm afraid that would be a little pricey. lol

Customer:

It's astronomical. I could come over to the States for less than you could fly here from the UK mainland!

Dr. Rick :

Don't you just love the way the airlines figure out their fares? I wish you the best of luck and, please, let me know if I can do anything else to help you.

Dr. Rick :

I

Customer:

I will ring my optician now. Many thanks for your help.

Dr. Rick :

I'm in Northern Wisconsin USA,.....

Customer:

A long way from here!

Dr. Rick :

truth.

Customer:

Lol

Dr. Rick :

good luck and godspeed.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
k