Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have a small dot trimmed in black and its center is yellow

Customer Question

I have a small dot trimmed in black and its center is yellow just floating around my left eye. i sometimes get this small pain come around the bottom of my eye has happen twice. and my eyes get red in color and wattery.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Floaters are suggestive of some kind of an issue with the middle or back of the eye( vitreous) and is not associated with any pain/redness/watering. If the floater keeps coming and going out of vision and is not kind of a fixed black spot then it is most likely arising from the vitreous. It can be seen in case of posterior vitreous detachment(PVD).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

PVD is a condition in which the thick gel at the back of the eye gets detached from its retinal attachment as a result of aging. During this the retina gets irritated or kind of stretched and gives rise to the symptom of flashes of light. Once the vitreous gets detached , it gets clumped and gives rise to the symptom of floaters ( wavy line/cobwebs/black strings). It is otherwise a harmless condition which needs no further treatment except for the fact that very rarely it may induce tiny peripheral retinal tears. Now these retinal tears can be detected by a dilated eye exam and if found they can be safely sealed with lasers. If left alone the retinal tears have a remote tendency to get converted into a frank retinal detachment. The visual acuity remains more or less good except when obscured by a large floater.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The pain ,redness and watering are symptoms arising from the more anterior( front of the eye) part of the eye and are unlikely to be related to the floaters.

Customer:

are you saying that i need not do anything at the moment are should i have it looked at.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It would need a thorough eye exam by an ophthalmologist to know the exact cause of the pain,redness and watering. Because such symptoms if occasional , can occur from eye fatigue or even dry eyes ( long hours in front of the computer or reading). But if persistent then they could arise from inflammation from inner layers .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

These symptoms would need a closer look if significantly persistent.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

How is the vision in the affected eye?

Customer:

Its fine i see well

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there any associated itching in the eye? Any known allergies?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I'm right here waiting for your response. I can see that you are typing ....

Customer:

well i do have dry eye and there is some itching at times. I find myself rubbing eyes alot and i work long hours two eight hour jobs

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Though I cannot confirm or tell exactly what the issue is without a proper eye exam, but I guess you could be having allergic conjunctivitis apart from dry eyes. With that many hours of work I can understand how much of eye fatigue can be there. It is better to use lubricating eye drops regularly such as preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day. For symptomatic relief from itching you can use over the counter Alaway/Zaditor eye drops , 1 drop twice a day for 2 weeks.

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince