Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

vision, looks kinda like a hair shape wise..headache..my left eye

I have been having the following symptoms for the last 6 months, I get a squiggly line in my field of vision, looks kinda like a hair shape wise, but it is made up of colored dots that shimmers, lasts for 15 minutes or so then is followed by a severe headache usually above my left eye for a couple hours. I do have a history sinus infections, could this be a symptom of a sinus infection, dont currently have any drainage going on. or perhaps a migraine(which i never had before)

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat.

Dr. Rick :

You are experiencing an ocular migraine.

Dr. Rick :

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon without the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

yep, description fits well

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I can add to the above discussion for you today?

Customer:

will do, thank you