Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

For several months, I have gotten blurred vision for a half

For several months, I have gotten blurred vision for a half hour or a bit more. I had my eyes checked in July and had no problems save needing a stronger prescription.
I have scheduled a blood glucose test but do not know what else I should do. I use a computer a lot though have retired so do not use it all day. I have very small cataracts, not needing treatment yet, and have very dry eyes, made worse by diuretics.
What should I do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How old are you?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are experiencing accommodative spasm.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat.

Customer:

I am 69. I can chat now.

Dr. Rick :

Have you had any eye surgery in the past?

Customer:

No.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well the best way to get to the root of this problem is with an extensive refraction. This is done by first doing a "dry" refraction (no drops). Once this data is in hand then you return to the doctor for a "wet" refaction (with drops). The Rx from the two refractions are compared and, then if needed, a third refraction is done to see if you can tolerate more "plus" power in your glasses.

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like a lot of work but it is the best way to see if this is the cause of your difficulties.

Dr. Rick :

Does this makes sense to you?

Customer:

I don't know but you are the doctor as they say.

Dr. Rick :

Wish I could get my wife to understand that :o)

Customer:

Which type of specialist should I see, an optometrist or the other which I cannot spell.

Dr. Rick :

Dry eyes can also contribute to these symptoms. You could try using natural tears 4 to 6x/day, especially when you are working on the computer and see if it helps.

Dr. Rick :

The other one that no one can spell -- ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

You may also benifit from treating any underlying blepharitis you may have:

Dr. Rick :

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production

Customer:

I do use restates now. I am glad you feel it is an eye problem. I thought I was

Dr. Rick :

This pretty much covers all the bases ....

Customer:

getting diabetis

Dr. Rick :

No. Diabetes would be way, way down my list of possible causes for your symptoms.

Customer:

Oh, I also have plugs in my tear ducts to help with theory eyes.

Customer:

sorry, the dry eyes

Dr. Rick :

Ok. So you have already done a lot to address your dry eyes. That is good.

Dr. Rick :

The lid scrubs shouldn't hurt the plugs in your tear ducts.

Customer:

Oh, I am so glad about the diabetes. I have been worried sick and my regular doctor is on maternity leave until July.

Customer:

But, what kind of specialist? Sorry, I can neither spell nor type well.

Dr. Rick :

A general ophthalmologist should be able to help you with this issue. Combined with your extensive dry eye issue you may want to consult with a cornea specialist however, from what you have told me, I don't think that is necessary at this time.

Customer:

Oh thank you so much, I feel so much better.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss on this topic.