Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

what is blepharitis is it serious

Customer Question

what is blepharitis? is it serious?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It is a condition where the glands on your eyelids (meibomium glands) get plugged up. This causes irritation, itching, gunk buildup, dry eyes and, at times, blurred vision.

Dr. Rick :

It is very common and, luckily, it can be treated at home in the vast majority of cases without the use of antibiotic pills, drops or creams.

Dr. Rick :

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production,

Dr. Rick :

It is not serious in the sense that it can lead to blindness, but it can cause problems with contact lens wear.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question? Does it make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Here is a link to a fairly extensive article on the topic:

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Are there any other concerns

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if you would like to discuss this issue further. Have a good day.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Also, thank you for asking for me. If I may ask, how did you choose me to answer your question?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago. I see why you picked me. And I was hoping it was my dashing good looks :)

Is there anything else you would like to know about what is going on with your eyes?