Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have been getting IVIG ifusions every three week 3 days straight.

Customer Question

I have been getting IVIG ifusions every three week 3 days straight. Recently I had a caderact removed during the follow up exam the Doctor found a spot in the back of the eye taht was term."a pool of Fluid" Could IVIG infusions be the cause of this problem?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Why are you getting the immunoglobulin infusions?

Dr. Rick :

How is your vision in the affected eye? Did your ophthalmologist use the term macular edema, or CME?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
I am here and awaiting your response....
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
You hit the accept button too soon :) I am here and I'm now in your debt and owe you a good answer. We can work on it now if you like. Did you see my questions above?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am getting the infusions because the nerves in my legs are dieing thus effecting the muscles. This has been going on about 10 month. A year ago I was in walker but today walking wothout assistance.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
That is good news. Did your eye doc give any name to your condition? Are you using any other drops then the Pred Forte?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No name for the condition except had to postpone the surgery on the right eye.. ! drop of Bromday a dat
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Ok. This is most likely called cystoid macular edema. This is a common occurrence after cataract surgery. The vast majority of cases resolve on their own. Sometimes eye drops (non-steroidal drops) are used to help with the inflammation. Rarely laser treatment is required to fix the issue.

Holding off on surgery of the other eye is a safe thing to do as you wouldn't want the vision to be blurry in both eyes at the same time.

Does this make sense to you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Holding off on the surgery makes sense to me but the left eye is not blurry.

What is the cause of this condition?

Isn't the one eye drop a steroid?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
It is good that your eye is not blurry. That means that the swelling is not that extensive and/or is not located in the very center of your retina (macula)

Yes. The drop you listed on your post is a strong steroid. This is a normal post-op medicine after cataract surgery.

This condition is usually caused by unknown factors. Sometimes, if the surgery was complicated, inflammation or loss of the jelly from the back of the eye (vitreous) can pull on the retina and cause swelling. This doesn't seem to be the issue in your case.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So it is basically a wait and see with the drops and time.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Yes. That is correct. The good news? 98% of the time that is all it takes.