Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

What would cause a yellow like blister on the white of my eye

What would cause a yellow like blister on the white of my eye next to the blue part?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Does it look something like this?

Dr. Rick :

More pictures of pingueculae
Full Size Image

Dr. Rick :

Or is more of a round, clear cyst like structure?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I'm still here. It looks like the picture I pasted above didn't work, even though it showed up at first. Here is another picture:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSck6Jocc6IrNdqg1laG96MLUYNEvz1vtNa46o-WCJOTZBDMt4w
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I'm still here to work on you question.....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it looks like that picture you posted

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Ok.

It sounds like what you have is called a pinguecula. This is a change in the skin around the eye (conjunctiva) from a lifetime's worth of exposure to sunlight. It is not a cancer. It also can become irritated and red at times.
Here is a picture of a small pinguecula. You can find many other pictures by going to Google images:

This is a pterygium. As you can see one of the major differences between a pterygium and a pinguecula is that a pterygium grows across the clear part of your eye (cornea):

Full Size Image

If you are bothered by your pinguecula it can be surgically removed fairly easily by your ophthalmologist using local anesthesia. One word of caution however.....they have the nasty habit of growing back, sometimes with a vengeance.

What can you do about your pinguecula short of having it surgically removed? Well, to decrease the redness use soothing natural tears 4 to 6x/day or more, cool compresses and treat any underlying blepharitis you may have. Drops that “get the red out”, such as visine, will tend to irritate things in the long run and just make the pinguecula redder. These drops, however, are OK to use once or twice to make your eyes briefly look better for a photo or a business meeting but should otherwise be avoided.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Ok....well, the pictures didn't work. Again. But you get the idea.

Does this make sense to you?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Are there any other concerns or issues you would like addressed on this topic?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes thank you. I was just extremely worried because my grandmother had to have her eye removed due to cancer so I was scared. Should i wear sunglasses when always outside?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
No. Sunglasses really won't make a difference at this point since the horse is already out of the barn, if you get my drift. You can wear them, if you want, for comfort but it really won't affect your pinguecula at all.

And, not to worry, it is not a cancer. :o)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest