Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

i I HAD CATERACT SURGERY ON MARCH 15. THE DOCTOR SAYS I HAVE

i
I HAD CATERACT SURGERY ON MARCH 15. THE DOCTOR SAYS I HAVE A SWOLLEN CORNEA AND HE DOESN'T KNOW WHY. I HAVE USED EYE DROPS AS PERSCRIPTED. LAST WEDNESDAY WAS GIVEN I DROPS----HE ASK ME IF I WAS ALLERGIC TO ANY ANTIBIOTICS? SO I ASSUMED ONE OF THE DROPS WAS THAT. THAT WAS WEDNESDAY MARCH 30 AND EYE STILL IS THE SAME. COULD THIS BE CAUSE BY TOO LARGE OF A LENS? WHAT DO YOU DUE IF THE CORNEA REMAINS SWOLLEN?

PLEASE HELP ME WITH ANSWERS. XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

It looks like you have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

Corneal edema after cataract surgery can occur for a number of reasons. The most common is a decompensation of the corneal endothelium for any number of reasons. The corneal endothelium is responsible for keeping the stroma (meat) of the cornea clear. When they fail, the cornea swells and becomes cloudy.

Dr. Rick :

Since it has only been a few weeks since your surgery there is a very good chance that, over the next few weeks or months, things will clear up and be ok.

Dr. Rick :

To answer your question.....no it is not caused by placing too large of a lens in your eye.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to the chat room. I was just working on your question.

Dr. Rick :

Now, what can be done if, after all, your cornea doesn't clear? Well, a number of things. First, a procedure called DSAK can transplant new, healthy, corneal endothelial tissue inside your eye to replace the sick and damaged tissue. This would clear your cornea. If you were not a candidate for this surgery, or if it didn't work for some reason, you could have a corneal transplant. This is where your entire cornea, including the layer of endothelial tissue, is removed and new one is sewed on.

Dr. Rick :

This, as you can imagine, is a fairly extensive surgery and is usually performed by corneal specialists. It is, however, very successful in restoring vision.

Dr. Rick :

So. What is the take home message? You shouldn't worry. Yet. There is a good chance things will clear up on their own. And, if they don't, there are excellent treatments available to address the problem.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you? I see you are in the chat room, but you are not chatting :o)

Dr. Rick :

Well, I guess you are not at your computer......

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if you would like to discuss this issue further. Have a nice day.