Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have what looks like 3 white dots on my sclera. It does not

Customer Question

I have what looks like 3 white dots on my sclera. It does not cause any discomfort or reduction in vision; just redness.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

These are most likely conjuctival cysts

Dr. Rick :

They form when glands get plugged up so that the fluid that they make gets stuck under the skin of your eye. They are not a cancer and, other then how they look, are of no consequence.

Dr. Rick :

If they bother you an ophthalmologist can lance them with a sterile needle, however they may come back after this. In order to have the best chance of getting rid of them they have to be completely excised. Usually, however, patients elect to leave them alone.

Dr. Rick :

does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Are there any other concerns or issues you would like addressed on this topic?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you. Final question, what causes them to form?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Hi and good morning.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Many times a cause for them is not found. What happens when they form is that a piece of the skin around your eye (conjunctiva) gets "folded over" (for lack of a better term) and the glands loose their connection to the outside. Being glands, they just keep on making their fluid, which then forms the cysts you see.

They are common after minor eye injuries, scratches etc. and can be seen after eye surgery. As I stated above, they are not a sign of any type of serious condition.

Does this make sense to you?