Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

this morning i woke up and had a very swollen under eye. I

this morning i woke up and had a very swollen under eye. I went to the doctor and he diagnosed it as optical celluitis he prescribed antibiotics and hot compresses. since then the under eye swelling has reduced but the eye lid is starting to swell and sag. should i go to the hospital or wait untill monday and see my regular doctor?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

pre-septal cellullitis is an infection of the tissues in front of the orbit that has not extended past the septum behind and around the eye. It is correctly treated with oral antibiotics and warm compresses as you doctor has prescribed

Dr. Rick :

Even though you say that the eyelid has started to sag more it is good that the swelling under your eye has improved. If you were not on the correct antibiotic things would be worse now then they were this morning.

Dr. Rick :

I believe what you are experiencing is just a shift in the location of the edema due to gravity. As long as things continue to look better, and not get worse, I think you would be safe to continue with the same treatment. From what you have told me I do not feel you need to rush to the ER right now.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Are there any other concerns or issues you would like addressed on this topic?