Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I just poked my conjunctiva (the white part) with a small toy

I just poked my conjunctiva (the white part) with a small toy and now it has a red spot. There is nothing stuck in it though i can feel it when i blink. Do I need to do anything?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer: Hi
Dr. Rick :

How sharp was the toy? Is your vision affected at all (close the other eye)?

Customer: It was the hand of a barbie.
Customer: I can see pretty well. pretty normal.
Dr. Rick :

Well....that doesn't sound that sharp to me :) Should I ask how the head of a barbie managed to get that close to your eye ;o)

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Dr. Rick :

I think you are going to live. No need to worry, run to the ER (they don't know anything about eyes anyway) or see an ophthalmologist. This will heal on it's own with no residual problems.

Customer: Hand of the barbie. Not the head. I was cleaning my daughters room.
Dr. Rick :

Don't let Ken find out about this tho......

Dr. Rick : I understand. still not very sharp.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer: Good to know. I wasn't too worried. Really only thinking of infection possibility.
Dr. Rick :

No. That area has wonderful blood supply so it heals fast and has low risk of infection. Of course, it depends upon if Barbie has been washing her hands like she should ;)

Customer: Thanks. Appreciate the service.
Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Customer: And the humor.
Have a good evening