Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

detached retina associated with a pit in the optic nerve

My son age 25, was diagnosed yesterday with a a text book case of a detached retina associated with a pit in the optic nerve. The prognosis with surgery is worrisome. We were told that this is a rare condition and that most opthamologists would only see one or two cases in a decade. Who is the best surgeon in Canada, USA or India to deal with this type of issue. The doctor is proposing a victrectomy with a some laser treatment and a gas bubble to hold the retina in place
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. I can only speak to the surgeons in the US as this is where I practice and have the most experience. There are many excellent academic eye institutions where your son can receive top-notch care for his detached retina. The Wilmer Eye Institute at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland; the Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Bascom-Palmer Eye Institute in Miami, Florida; Casey Eye Institute in Portland, Oregon. These are all excellent academic institutions that I can recommend to you where you will get the best care for his eyes.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.