Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

What is the difference between ocular migraines and optic neuritis

What is the difference between ocular migraines and optic neuritis? Vision in my left eye will have little glowing worms flying around then within 5 minutes I lose total vision (totally black) for 5-15 minutes then it will fade back in and be fine for a while (anywhere from a day to month) It only happens in my left eye.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Optic neuritis is inflammation of the optic nerve inside or behind your eyeball

Customer:

is that something that could be seen without any kind of enhancers (gadolinium)?

Dr. Rick :

do you mean optic neuritis?

Customer:

the inflammation of the optic nerve... is it something that can be identified without any enhancing dye?

Dr. Rick :

Optic neuritis can be seen by an ophthalmologist during an eye exam. There is a form called retrobulbar optic neuritis that can't be seen by the eye doctor. Usually this is a clinical diagnosis and MRI imaging is not done.

Dr. Rick :

However, to answer your question it would show up on MRI a lot better with gadolinium enhancement.

Dr. Rick :

The symptoms you discuss in your post are more consistent with a vascular problem.

Customer:

even if it is just one eye?

Dr. Rick :

yes. It would be, usually, just in one eye. You would need a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist. After that, depending on what is found, you may need various degrees of examination of your carotid system, heart, great vessels etc.

Dr. Rick :

Your symptoms are not consistent with ocular migraines.

Dr. Rick :

are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Are there any other concerns or issues you would like addressed on this topic?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if you would like to discuss this further.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The neurologist that diagnosed me in 2006 said that it was ocular migraines... so his diagnosis was wrong?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
It would be very unusual for you to go "lights out blind" in one eye from ocular migraines....I've never seen it our heard of a case like that.

Now, that being said, you are very young to have blood flow problems to your eye. If you had been in a car accident or been involved in major trauma you could have a tear in your carotid artery that could cause your symptoms....

All things being equal, I would be very hesitant to blame recurrent, total, temporary blindness in one eye on ocular migraines until I had done the billion-dollar workup to rule out all other causes.

Does this make sense to you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

In early 2006 I was hit in the head hard enough to cause me to have a deviated septum and a black eye for 2 weeks and that was about the time that I started noticing problems with my eyes

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Would a tear in my carotid artery also cause double vision?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
That is a good question.....If you had enough vascular compromise to involve not only your eye but one or more of your extraocular muscles I would think there would be symptoms involving other organ systems (brain, vestibular system etc)

A comprehensive vascular workup would give your the answer to this question.