Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello again. The double vision in my left eye is capricious....it

Hello again. The double vision in my left eye is capricious....it comes and goes. It's been more than one month now and my opthalmologist suggested that it probably will go away but maybe not for 3 months. First he said it was a nerve problem and then a muscle problem. What are your thoughts.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Well, your ophthalmologist is correct. It is a nerve problem that affects the eye muscle....so I guess it depends upon how you look at it.

Dr. Rick :

And it may take up to 6 months to resolve.

Dr. Rick :

The good news? It is not a brain cancer. And, in the vast majority of cases, it resolves completely on its own.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Are there any other concerns or issues you would like addressed on this topic?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what can I do to eliminate this annoying problem?
Would eye exercises help?
What causes double vision?
Why does it come and go?

To help to get rid of the double vision while things heal you can put scotch tape over the lens on one side of your glasses, or you can wear a pirate patch. This will give you single vision, but be careful as your depth perception will be affected.

I don't, personally, believe that eye muscle exercises help with this type of problem.

Double vision is caused by two images, one from each eye, being sent to your brain out of sync and/or looking at two separate parts of the same image. Your brain is unable to fuse these images and you get double vision.

It comes and goes most likely, in your case, because things are healing up and sometimes your muscles are strong enough to give one image to your brain from both your eyes. Sometimes they are weak and they send two images. It can also be caused by your two eyes seeing so far apart from each other that your brain doesn't even try to fuse them and you get two images, but both of them single.

Just give things time.....sounds like you are on the right track.