Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

when shooting my compound bow the target is clear unil i raise

when shooting my compound bow the target is clear unil i raise the pin sights on the target,is there a way to fix this problm?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

how old are you? Do you wear glasses or contacts?

Customer:

i am 62 yrs old,wear glasses and have astigmatism.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, I must admit that I have the exact same problem when doing competition rifle shooting using iron sights. It is not an easy problem to solve and takes a little "training of the brain" to get around the fact that we, both, have lived to long :o)

Dr. Rick :

Being old and presbyopic we can no longer focus on the near sights (be they rifle or bow) and, in my case, the front sight/target and in your case the target......make sense so far?

Dr. Rick :

the only way that I've found (after lots of research and being an ophthalmologist) that works is to get a special pair of shooting glasses. With these glasses I set my non dominant eye (you can do a test to figure out which is which) for the front sight, and the dominant eye for distance (target). Keeping both eyes open (which you should do anyway...) I got my brain "trained" to superimpose the two images in my mind...

Dr. Rick :

It works well and I'm still able to outshoot the young whippersnappers. But don't fool yourself. This setup takes time to get used to and some never can....

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

yes,this is as far as i have gotten,there lenses made for the peep sight with different magnification this might work?

Dr. Rick :

yes. I'd try those first before spend $300+ on custom glasses.

Dr. Rick :

You would most likely need a +2.00 to see the pins at arm's length given your age.....

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I think the chat system may have froze up......

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
I'm still here. They chat froze up.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Would you like to discuss this issue further? We can 'chat' with each other on the Q&A system....it is a lot like text messaging.

If we have covered your concerns, have a good day and good hunting!
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.