Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

my husband was re-stringing his guitar - a string popped and

my husband was re-stringing his guitar - a string popped and hit him in the eye - what to do? It hurts pretty bad. Thank you!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question. One of the first things he should go is use artificial tears in that eye as well as cool compresses. These two things will make it feel better somewhat very soon. The string may have just bruised the eye, but it could also have caused a scratch on the eye, inflammation inside the eye (iritis), or at the very worst it could cause a laceration of the eye. If the pupil is still round and symmetrical in shape with the other and if the vision is not significantly affected then it is unlikely that the eye has sustained a laceration. If the vision is significantly worse in that eye, if there is nausea/vomiting or extreme light sensitivity or pain then he should see his eye doctor, especially if things are worsening.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.