Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My grand daughter age 2 recently (this week) starting blinking

My grand daughter age 2 recently (this week) starting blinking her eyes repetitively for long periods of time. What may be causing this and should she see the pediatric opthamologist?

Bonnie Puzio
Child has blue eyes and does not light sunlight (riding in car) in her eyes
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question. This can be due to several things. This can rarely be due to corneal problems such as corneal dystrophies or infections. It cal also be due to inflammation inside the eye. All of these are quite uncommon however. Most often this is due to either dry eye syndrome, allergic conjunctivitis, or spot that it is just a habit that the child has picked up. However, the only way that you could say that it was just a habit or a 'thing' that kids do is to have the child get a complete, dilated eye exam by an ophthalmologist.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there any possibility this could be a neurological problem ? recently my grand daughter rubbed her eye with s mitten with dry dirt etc. on it. The pediatrician did not find any redness on the eye but according to you information it could be inflammation inside the eye. Do I assume that is the whhite of the eye, or inside the lids. Ifi t is a habit developing have you had experience with patients (toddlers) and if so how did you address the habit and the condition.
While there is a very small chance that this could be neurological, it would be highly unlikely that it would be the only presenting neurological sign. If this is a habit most kids tend to lose the habit over time and there isn't much that can be done to hasten this process. I would bet that this is very likely a dry eye syndrome that would respond to conservative treatment.
Also, I do think that the child's light colored eyes may play a role in this as well. These children, being naturally more sensitive to bright light, often use the repetitive blinking as a means of lessening the effects of the bright lights.
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology