Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have tiny lesions in the back of my left eye. they have made

Customer Question

I have tiny lesions in the back of my left eye. they have made me blind in that eye. I do have fibromyalgia and my rheumatoid factor is slightly positive although I have not been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I have seen many specialists with the most common answer being "I don't know what is causing the lesions - it is a very rare disease"Many things such as histoplasmosis and ms have been ruled out. Thank you for your help! I am quite worried since if it gets in my other eye I will be completely blind and they can't do anything for it.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Are you "lights out" blind in your left eye or does you central vision tend to be primarily affected?

Dr. Rick :

What types have testing/exams have been done so far? Have you been examined by a retina specialist?

Dr. Rick :

Has any name been given for your condition or has every doctor just said "I have no idea what it is...."

JACUSTOMER-k754fukx- :

My vision is completely affected in my left eye Central snd peripheral. I believe it's called 20/400. Every vision test including field visions and brain activity (?) tests has been done. I have been examined by more than one retinal specialist. No name has been given thus far.

Dr. Rick :

Where in the USA do you live and how far are you willing to travel for examination/workup/possible treatment? I may have some ideas......

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I am still here and waiting to help you with your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I live in Roswell, New Mexico. I can't afford to travel far and I am on Medicare as I am disabled, but my secondary insurance does not cover outside of New Mexico.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Let me see who I know in New Mexico. Is there any chance you could go to Lubbock Texas?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Professor Arup Das, MD is the Chief of the department of Ophthalmology at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque. He, along with his department of retina Professors give top notch care and diagnosis of all conditions affecting the retina.

Here is his webpage:

http://hospitals.unm.edu/outpt/eyes/providers/das.shtml

I think it is time, with all you have been through, to go to a University program where you will get cutting edge, latest research driven examination, diagnosis and treatment.

I personally know the Retina Specialists at Texas Tech University in Lubbock, having worked with them for many years during my training. However, if your insurance will not cover you out of the State of New Mexico, I know you would get excellent care with Dr. Das.

Does this make sense to you?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I am still available to discuss this issue further if you would like....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, it sounds great, only problem I have already been throught University of New Mexico's ophthalmololgy department and the UNiversity of Texas Soouthwestern in Dallas. But thank you. Sorry, I don't think Lubbock could be any better. Unfortunately, I don't think you are able to help me either.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I was afraid that you would have already been through the UNM eye department....

The best place in the USA for retina problems? Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia, PA. Dr. Wm Tasman is a world renowned retina expert who has published many of the core textbooks in Retina. He and his staff are, if not the best in the world, right up there with 'em.

Here is a link to his webpage:

http://www.willseye.org/patients/drview3328.html?drid=94

I know you said your insurance is a problem with out of New Mexico doctors, however, give Wills Eye a call..they have many programs to help with finances. And who knows, maybe, just maybe, you will finally get an answer and some help. What have you got to loose?

Let me know if this won't work for you and we can work together to find a retina expert that will.....let's not give up yet :)