Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

my thumbnail accidently broke a vein on my eye ball. The white

my thumbnail accidently broke a vein on my eye ball. The white of my eyes immediately filled with blood. It has been 15 hours and the blood is still there in the eye ball. How long will this last? I am traveling next week on an airplane. Is this okay?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.
There is no problem with you flying....other then the TSA agents may ask you if the other person looks worse ;o)

Stop using the visine...that will just irritate things and will not get this "red out". If you want you can use natural tears to soothe your eye, but it really isn't necessary. The blood will slowly clear over the next couple of weeks. If you are flying to a wedding just close that eye for all the pictures :)
And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if you would like to discuss this issue further. Have a good day.