Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

had cataract operation 18 months ago. Two weeks ago right eye vision is suddenly blurred.

Customer Question

had cataract operation 18 months ago. Two weeks ago right eye vision is suddenly blurred. vision tested today as 6/13 in my right eye compared to 6/6 after the cataract operation.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

There are a couple of possibilities here that may explain what is happening to you.

1. There can be problems in the eye after cataract surgery that can affect the retina in fairly short order causing relatively sudden vision changes. This includes swelling from the cataract surgery (although 18 months out from the surgery is a bit far for that to be likely) or it could be swelling in the retina from something altogether unrelated.

2. You may have a clouding of the shell that holds the lens implant. This is not an uncommon side effect of surgery that tends to show up within a year or two after the surgery. Thankfully, if it is this, there is a straightforward laser procedure that can be done which is painless and can remove that cloudy shell in a matter of minutes.

3. There may be a change in the glasses prescription in that eye which can also happen several months to a few years down the road from cataract surgery.

Both 2 and 3 above don't usually happen suddenly, but often times our recognition of their existence is sudden. Sometimes, we rub the other eye, or get something in the other eye, prompting to close the other eye and then only look out of the affected eye, allowing the patient to notice the problem all at once.

I would recommend going to see your ophthalmologist who can, with a complete dilated exam, rule out all of these scenarios and present you with the most appropriate means of treatment.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you.

This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied. Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

I understand that you did not receive a satisfactory answer to your question. If you would please let me know what you did not understand or what further questions you may have about what I've told you or haven't told you and I would be happy to help you resolve your concerns. This encounter is not over until you say it's over, even though you've already hit the accept button. There will be no further charges despite us continuing to have this dialogue.