Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello. I developed shingles last week on the left side of

Hello. I developed shingles last week on the left side of my torso. For the past 2 days, my right eye has felt jagged and tonight it has started burning in the right corner. I have had 5 vitrectomies on my left eye and have no useful sight in it. I am obviously concerned about what effect getting shingles in my good eye might have. Is there anything that I might be able to do? Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Usually when you get an outbreak of shingles it stays along the same dermatome during the outbreak. This means that a shingles outbreak on the left side of your torso would not be expected to affect your right eye, nor would you expect to have a separate outbreak along a completely different nerve/dermatome ( your eye).

Dr. Rick :

However, if you are severely immune compromised, such as after chemo therapy or if you have AIDS, all bets are off.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat. I am a retina specialist by day and a justanswer eye guy by night :o)

Dr. Rick :

After all is said and done, however, I can understand your concern when it comes to your only working eye. I suggest you use some tear replacement drops this evening and put some refresh PM (or similar) ointment in your eye tonight before bedtime ( the ointment will blur your vision.....) and see how things feel in the morning.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX your answer. However, if happens to be shingles developing in my right eye, is there anything I can do or my eye doctor can do?

Dr. Rick :

There is nothing you can do but your ophthalmologist, after a complete exam to make sure what is going on, will have a number of treatment options available.

Dr. Rick :

Since you only have one good eye if you are still worried tomorrow morning have it checked out just to be sure.

Customer:

Thank you. I appreciate your advice and will follow it. You have been most helpful.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good evening

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if I can be of any further help.