Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

When IK close my eyes I see flashing swiggelly lights towards

When IK close my eyes I see flashing swiggelly lights towards the inside right and left corners. It has been happening for 20 years or more. I have had a few eye migranes a year where the lights flash all over my sight and in multiple colors. Is there anything I should be doing to stop them?

Kenny D

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Before we begin.

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Do you understand those terms?

Please type "yes" or "no".

Dr. James :

Please type "yes" or "no".

Customer:

hi yes

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I SEE FLASHING SWIGGLY LIGHTS WHEN I CLOSE MY EYES. I'VE HAD EYE MIGRAINES WITH MULTIPLE COLORED LIGHTS LIKE FIREWORKS A FEW TIMES A YEAR. IT;'S BEEN HAPPENING FOR 20 YEARS OR MORE.HAT SHOULD I DO?
You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam in precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

The vitreous detachment described above is unlikely to happen for 20 years however. Migraines can also cause these flashes of light. If they are bothersome, you can see your primary care doctor or neurologist to medicines to help prevent these migraine occurrences.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.