Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have a lump under my left eyebrow. Its been there for 3

Customer Question

I have a lump under my left eyebrow. It's been there for 3 - 4 weeks. At least three days a week, when I wake up in the morning the area around my eye and my eye lid are very swollen. One doctor believes this to be a cyst. Should I have it removed?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like a chalazion or a stye. If you primary care doctor has diagnosed it as a cyst and saying it needs to be removed, don't worry. GPs are usually wrong about eye issues. I don't do heart attacks and they shouldn't do eyes :)

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause for an isolated bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, but th shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

Dr. Rick :

If things don't improve in a few weeks, have it checked by an ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

does this make sense to you.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if you would like to discuss this further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Your answer doesnt apply. This is a lump under my eyebrow .

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Ahh.....were you seen by an ophthalmologist? Is it tender to the touch? About how big is it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Hi. I'm here and can work on your question with the new information you have given. Did you see my request for more information?

Let me know if you don't want to work with me and I can have another doctor take over from here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Slightly tender and slightly larger than a pea. The biggest issues it causes is the swelling it creates around my eye a few mornings each week.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Well, it would be a simple thing to remove it as long it doesn't involve the nerve that goes through a opening in the bone under your upper eyebrow.

I would have an ophthalmologist take a look at at and see if she can remove it...not because I'm worried that it may be anything terrible but rather because the location that it is in is bothersome.

Does this make sense?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK- my appointment to have it removed is with an ENT. I just wanted to see if you thought was necessary to have it removed. I feel like it needs to be- as I dont want my eye to be swollen closed several times a week - but I'm no doctor!
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I think it is a good idea. Of course, being an ophthalmologist I like to throw the work to my colleagues whenever I can :o) but the ENT doc probably won't kill you taking out this lump ;)
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Is there anything else I can help you with on this topic today? If not, it is now safe to press that pretty green button you your screen :0