Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

when i pinch my nose closed wiht my fingers and blow it feels

when i pinch my nose closed wiht my fingers and blow it feels like a small air bubble in the corner of my eye socket. can you help?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Are you available to chat?

I'm still here and will be typing my response to your question. I waited to chat with you but didn't see you in the chat room so I switched to this Q&A format, but standby for my answer.

The reason you feel an air bubble at the inside corner of you eye when you do that is because you are trapping air in your tear duct and applying pressure to that air (blowing your nose) while closing off one of the two openings to that tear duct (your nose).

Your tears drain from your eyes through tiny holes in the margins of the inner portion of each eyelid (all 4 lids have this hole, called a punctum). This punctum leads to little canals that drain into a tear sac which is located on the side of the nose just opposite the inner corner of your eye. From here your tears drain down a canal that ends up in your nose, which is why your nose gets stuffed up when you cry.

When you close off your nose and blow, the air that is in the tear duct only has one way to go and that is back up through the nasolacrimal canal and through the lacrimal punctum where tears would normally start their drainage route.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.