Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

are there any treatments for optic nerve damage

are there any treatments for optic nerve damage?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Can you give me a little more information on how your optic nerve was damaged and how much vision you currently have in the eye? Also, how long has this been going on?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to the chat room.

Customer:

its for my son who was in a road traffic accident in oct'10, he has suffered tramic brain injury on the left side. We were told that he has optic nerve damaged and that there is nothing they can do, said good luck and goodbye, i left that place in tears, to say the least. I just want to get a second opinion..

Dr. Rick :

I am very sorry to hear that. Was your son examined by an ophthalmologist? Does he have any vision in that eye?

Customer:

no when his right eye is covered he says he can't see. Yes he was examined by an ophthamologist yesterday. We have another appointment 12 Apr somewhere else, but if there isn't any treatment for optic nerve damage, I would cancel the appointment. They put drops in his eyes to dilate them and I was told he would be sensitive to light and wouldn't be able to play his psp game, that wasn't true, he played as soon as we got back home, was wondering even if they put drops in correctly .

Dr. Rick :

By "I can't see" does he mean things are not clear....or is he lights out blind. That is an important distinction....

Customer:

I believe its lights out blind, he can't see anything with the right eye covered.

Dr. Rick :

ok. Well, if that is the case he would have had some very specific finding on clinical exam yesterday at the ophthalmologists office.

Dr. Rick :

If he is lights out blind in that eye from an injury almost 6 months ago, and it is from damage to the optic nerve then, most likely, there is nothing that can be done. Does this mean that you shouldn't see the other expert for a more extensive evaluation? Well, as a parent myself I think I'd go to the doc in April. You've got nothing to loose and, maybe just maybe,something to gain.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

yes thank you for your time, I will keep that appointment in Apr. I was told back in Oct'10 that if my son survived he would be a vegetable, I never listened or believed them. My son is walking, talking and doing most things on his own, so yes as a parent I will never give up. thanks again for your time, I really appreciate it.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I hope your son does well with the other aspects of his trauma. Take care

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if I can do anything else to help.