Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I had amalgam removed 2 days ago and thought that a piece flew

I had amalgam removed 2 days ago and thought that a piece flew into my eye. this morning I woke up and under my lower eyelid where I felt the amalgam is very sore. If I do have amalgam there how would I remove it?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Was this at the dentists office?

Customer: Yes it was at an office that specializes in removing amalgam safely.
Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, the best way to make sure that the piece of amalgam is not under your eyelid is to see an this case, an optometrist will probably do just fine also.

Dr. Rick :

The doctor will flip over your lid and look closely with the slit lamp and explore the area with Qtip etc. I don't think this is something you can take care of yourself at home.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I can add to our discussion?

yes. I did look under the eyelid just now and I found a little area that red. is it possible the the piece has gone in to the tissue?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Yes, that is possible. In this case it may work itself out, but in doing that it could cause a scratch on your cornea. I'd see an eye doc who will be able to remove it, even if it is buried in your eyelid.