Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

see blood..Hemorrhage..My eye is tender, it feels..tenderness

Customer Question

It appears that I have a fairly visible scratch in the outer corner of the white of my eye. I can see blood resembling a Subconjunctival Hemorrhage surrounding the area. My eye is tender, it feels like I was rubbing it all night but there is no actual pain other then general tenderness. But I can physically feel the scratch, when I blink my eyelid. Do I need to see a doctor, or can I give it a few days and see if it starts to heal on it's own?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How do you think your eye got scratched?

Customer:

Not sure, it was there when I woke up. I have 2 dogs that sleep on my bed and it could have been a dog hair in my eye that I rubbed all night long

Dr. Rick :

Ok. When you look at the scratch does it look like there is a flap of "skin" (conjunctiva) hanging loose, or is it just a line with the blood around it?

Customer:

More like a line with blood around it

Customer:

My eye feels tired and tender, it definitely feels like I rubbed it all night, although I don't remember rubbing it

Dr. Rick :

OK. This should heal on its own without any need to see an ophthalmologist. It also, due to it's excellent blood supply, has a very low chance of getting infected.

Dr. Rick :

Take home message: I think, after consulting with the wise doctors at JustAnswer, you will be fine :o)

Customer:

thanks you! I really didn

Customer:

didn't want to go to the doctor

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good evening.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
k