Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

what are the symptoms of pink eye i woke up with some

what are the symptoms of pink eye ?? i woke up with some pain that goes in and out in one eye only. I wet cool cloth is soothing.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Usually you have a red eye that has a watery discharge. As this is caused by a virus, antibiotic drops which only treat bacteria, are of no value.

Dr. Rick :

It is very contagious and may spread to your other eye and family members. It will not damage your eye and should run its course in about a week or so.

Dr. Rick :

As you already found out cold compresses make it feel better. Also, the frequent use of preservative free natural tears will soothe your eye.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
let me know if you would like to discuss this topic further.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my eye is not red and no discharge just some pain that comes n goes
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
The most likely culprit in that case would be dry eyes. I would suggest the natural tears as before, and trade in the cool compresses for warm compresses and baby shampoo lid scrubs.

I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production.

I guess we got ahead of ourselves on this question, eh? :o)