Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Looked into the sunlight yesterday and suddenly black spots

Customer Question

Looked into the sunlight yesterday and suddenly black spots appeared inthe peripheal vision of my left eye. That went away but now have a round shaped balck spot still int he peripheal vision of my left eye. What is this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I never found the oroginal answer to my question
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I only looked for a second or so before the dark spots started appearing. I have rheumatoid arthritis and currently methotrexate and have been off all steriods for one year. No other health problems. The little spots have subsided but the one spot is still there
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sometimes I see flashes of white light around the black circle
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
why would I get this and what should I do?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes and now I am worried
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Than you so much and I am calling the ophthamologist office as we speak. anything else it could be?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick

Just wanted to let you know that I have a retinal tear and am scheduled for surgery tonight at 6pm. I'm very nervous but I am sure I will do well. Thank you for your concern

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am scared and want to know about the recovery.They are putting a band around the eye.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Ok. That will make things easier on you -- you'll wake up and everything will be done :)

Best of luck to you. And Remember: You caught this early, before your macula was involved, so you should have the best outcome possible.

Let me know how things go. Now. Go relax for a few hours...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Rick

You were right and thank yiou again. They did the gas bubble and the buckle,. He said the surgery went very well and your were right again about the importance of acting on symptoms early before it becomes complicated. I have some sorness and I clearly see the bubble at the bottom of my eye which they told me was good too. When I awoke this morning and saw that bubble, I thought oh no they didnt fix it. I just want to say again that your advice was excellant and in a timely fashion. You are a great doctor and if I was ever in your area I would certainly retain you as my retinal physician. Again, you saved my eyesight and I thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I am very glad I could help. I am sure the doctor told you that you won't be able to see worth anything until the bubble goes away. There are two common gases he could have used: SF6, which will last about a week, and C3F8 which will last about 3 weeks or so. Also, as I'm sure you know, the gas will cause a cataract to form in the near future (months to year or so) which can be addressed with normal cataract surgery.

I,actually, didn't save your eyesight. YOU did that by getting information about your condition quickly -- all I did was supply the info. :)

Please keep me informed of your progress. You can drop me a note at justanswer. Email addresses, unless they are "spelled out", are blocked by the system.

Best of luck to you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick

One more thing if you dont mind, the surgeon did say that he went behind the eye for the gas bubble instead of through the eye, to minimize the consequence of a cataract. Is this correct?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Yes, that is the normal place to put the gas bubble -- in the vitreous cavity. I would still, however, bet that you will get a cataract in the long run. No big deal though....a cataract is an easy fix compared to what you have just gone through.

How's things going so far?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Rick

I think I am doing very well. My eye still feels as though I have been punched, but the vision is quite good and the blood is really starting to go away. I hope to be able to get glasses soon, as the vision in my right eye is worse than the vision in the left. I still clearly see the gas bubble but it seems a bit smaller than the days before. All in all, I think I am recovering well. I usually do, but I always seem to have the strangest things happen to me. I am now concerned with even blowing my nose or sneezing for fear I will dettach something again. I hope your day is going well for you and thank you for your concern.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
You need not worry about blowing your nose or (as if you could stop it anyway) sneezing. That shouldn't hurt a thing.

It will be quite a few weeks until you are ready to get new glasses...and don't forget about the cataract that you have scheduled into your future :o)

It's good to hear that things are on the mend. You have a very good chance of having excellent vision when this is all said and done -- and all because you got yourself to a retina doc in a timely fashion.

It's snowing here. May get up to 18 inches. I just may have to break the snowmobile out of storage for one last ride.

Glad to hear that you are doing well.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Rick

Snowing here also, but fortunately for me I cant shovel. What a shame tee hee. Have fun snowmobiling and make sure to cover your eyes with a shield. You have been more than nice about still talking to me. I wish you the very best and I will let you know if a cataract appears, i just wont accept it. I keep saying that one willnot appear, call me skeptical but positive about the outcome. I go to the retinal specialist tomorrow at 2:00. I will let you know how that goes. Have a great day to a great doctor. You know you could of been the kind of doctor that told me to wait and see if it goes away on its own, you know there are some docs out there like that. I was very lucky and blessed to have come across a doctor like you.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the thinking such nice thoughts about me.....but I'm sure most doc's would've done the same.

Where on the planet are you?

Take care.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Rick

Followed up with the doctor today and he said that my eye was healing very well. No more drops, no more patch, no more restrictions. Sure now he tells me that and yesterday I took a shower, without bending, washed blow-dried and straightened my hair. have you ever tried to do your hair without bending your head over???? I know its different for you men. Anyway, just waiting for the bubble to clear and vision to get better and I am on my way once again.

I am in the beautiful four-seasoned state of Michigan.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Good to hear. I used to live in the U.P, eh.

You must be a troll.....live under The Bridge :)

I have never owned a comb or a brush...just wash and wear hair.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Live in lower part of Michigan near Ann Arbor, but grew up on a farm in Ohio during the summers, lots of work but also lots of fun. When I was in my teens then we started to go to upper Michigan to vacation. Go to Petoskey and Traverse City and Walloon Lake quite a bit. Love the great outdoors, love the smell of the great outdoors. Anyway and where are you? Where did you live in the UP? You are lucky and your hair looks great in the picture.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
My dad gave me the hair. I hated it when I was a teenager and love it now....

I lived in Ironwood, on the far West side of the UP. I now live and practice in Northern Wisconsin.