Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

My wife suffered a suprasellar meningioma in 2005. Post op

My wife suffered a suprasellar meningioma in 2005. Post op , she was diagnosed with total blindness in her R eye , and a small key hole of vision in her L.
Her pupils are permanently dilated, causing her distress from glare.
Is there any procedure to a] improve optic nerve performance , or b] to reduce her pupil size thereby reducing glare.?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

There is nothing that can be done to restore function to her damaged optic nerve...sorry about that.

Dr. Rick :

There are, however, a couple of options to help her with glare from her dilated pupil in her left eye. The safest and easiest would to be fit with a special "cosmetic" contact lens that has an artificial, smaller "pupil" opening. This works well in many situations and I believe it would work for your wife.

Dr. Rick :

Another option involves surgery. In this procedure a suture made of 10-0 proline is passed through her cornea and then her iris. The suture is tied in such a way as to physically pull her iris together forming a, permanent, smaller pupillary opening. This, of course, has all the risks of intraocular surgery however is it is a fairly straight forward procedure that is highly successful in most cases.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss on this topic. Have a good day.