Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

We are thinking of adopting a kitten who has had ocular lesions

Customer Question

We are thinking of adopting a kitten who has had ocular lesions from feline respiratory virus while housed at a shelter. The kitten has been treated and has not had a flair up for several weeks. My question is this. should we be cautious in this adoption. Is this kitten likely to have further ocular episodes during it's lifetime. It has been vaccinated and will need the third set of shots if we adopt.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do you think there will be frequent re occurrences of the eye lesion requiring extensive treatment for this cat?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I think you should be fine adopting this kitten since it will be up to date on all its vaccinations. While it is possible that the virus could recur the kitten doesn't have any greater chance of infection then any other kitten its age -- and prior infection might give some amount of immunity.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
No. I don't think that will be the case.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was concerned because the foster parent indicated that the treatment for the original lesion was quite aggressive, and expensive. Also, can this cross trasmit to dogs or puppies?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Once the episode is cleared up, as you say this one is, then there is no risk of transmission to others.

If the possibility of future treatment expense is a large issue I would suggest selecting another kitten, although from what you have told me I don't think this kitten is at that great of a risk of reinfection.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The money is not such a consideration. We are thinking also of adopting a small inside dog and want to be sure there is no risk of cross trasmission to it.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
FRV does not infect dogs....different critter :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks so much for your time and answers. We just want to be sure we are making the right decision in adopting this kitten. We had to put down a cat of 14 years which cost us a small fortune so we are willing to invest in our pets health. I just had never heard of such a severe ocular infection with feline respiratory virus and wanted to be sure we weren't making a big mistake with this adoption. Putting down your animals is a VERY difficult experience.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I know what you mean. My basset hound of 11 years has bone cancer and doesn't have long to go.....
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
you have our deepest sympathies. Thanks again and I'll click pay for you.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
.